The cache of 80 grenades discovered at a building site off of King’s Drive, has been exploded.
The discovery was made at 9am this morning after a digger picked one up, which then went off.
Firefighters, police and bomb disposal experts were called, and the cache of World War Two grenades was unearthed.
The grenades were marked ‘AW Bomb 1940’, and thought to have been phosphorus incendiary grenades created as improvised anti-tank weapons when Britain was facing invasion following the army’s evacuation from Dunkirk in 1940. They were made by chemical company Albright & Wilson in the form of bottles filled with incendiary liquid.
They were put into two skips, and exploded just before 4pm.
King’s Drive was closed from the DGH roundabout and King’s Avenue while the explosion took place.
Nearby residents were told to keep their windows closed.