VIDEO: Man rescued from flat fire in Worthing town centre

A MAN has been rescued by firefighters after a fire in a second floor flat in Worthing town centre this afternoon.

The fire happened above Candy Love, in Montague Street, at around 12pm and the man, thought to be middle-aged, was pulled out at about 12.20pm.

The man has been taken to hospital because of smoke inhalation.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

Candy Love owner Paul O’Brien called the fire brigade when a member of staff phoned to tell him the shop’s alarms were going off.

He said: “There was thick black smoke and from what I could see, it was pretty bad.

“I called the fire brigade and managed to get another couple out of the building.

“They just pulled someone out but I don’t know how bad it is yet.”

Roy Barraclough, of West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “We were called at midday and pulled a man out of the second-floor flat.

“He is being treated for smoke inhalation. We are investigating the scene now.”

The scene has been cornered-off and large crowds had gathered at the scene.