VIDEO: Pavilion Road stabbing victim reacts to sentences of attackers

THE VICTIM of a stabbing who lost both of his arms and legs after the incident has reacted to the long sentences handed down to his attackers.


Ernest Moyo, known as Joe, 27, of Tarring, and his partner Amy Dunne, 23, said they were pleased with the sentences given to four men who attacked him after a party in August 2012.

Miss Dunne said: “For two to three months every day both our families visited him hoping and praying, before finally he was taken off the life support.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

“Joe and myself will have to deal with his injuries every day for the rest of our lives as we make a future together, making our lives totally different from what they would have been.


“We would all like to thank all the nurses, doctors and surgeons at the hospitals for all their care and support that they gave to Joe. We would also like to thank Sussex Police, especially DCs Tony Taylor and Laura Sinden and PC Vicky Bailey, for all of their hard work and support.

“We are relieved that four people have now been held accountable for their actions and will now face many years in prison.”

Patrick Brookes, 27, unemployed from Clifton Road, Worthing, Jeramiah Reynolds, 26, unemployed from Ascham End, North London were found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent on March 11 after a three week retrial at Hove Crown Court.

Brookes was jailed for 16 years and Reynolds was sentenced to 15 years.

Dominic Brookes, 19, a student from Bramble Close, Croydon, and 18-year-old Trey Johnson from Victoria Road, Worthing, were found guilty at Hove Crown Court in August.

Brookes was sentenced to 15 years and Johnson was also sentenced to 15 years.

Detective Constable Laura Sinden said: “I have been with Joe and his family throughout the investigation and the trial and pleased for them that these four people have been brought to justice.

“Each of the men have received significant sentences for their involvement in what happened that night. The attack happened after a row about a mobile phone and escalated into a young man almost losing his life.”

For more reaction, see the video above.

For the full story, see the Worthing Herald, out Thursday, June 19.

To see previous coverage of the trial, click here