An Uckfield animal charity that rescues orangutans in Borneo has released heartbreaking footage of a baby orangutan that was dumped in a filthy cardboard box and left out in the sun to die.
The baby, who has been named Gito by the team from International Animal Rescue (IAR), was so lifeless when they reached him that at first they thought he was dead. He was lying with his arms folded across his chest and had a startling lack of hair and grey flaking skin.
Even the most hardened members of International Animal Rescue’s team were shocked by the state the little orangutan was in. He was being kept as a pet by the head of the village of Hamlet Giet, Merawa Village, in Simpang Hulu District, about 170km from IAR’s orangutan rehabilitation centre in Ketapang, West Borneo.
Gito had been bought for less than £20 and kept in a cardboard box sodden with urine and fed entirely on condensed milk. He was severely dehydrated and malnourished.
Gito was in such urgent need of medical attention that the local Forestry Department (BKSDA) allowed the rescue team to rush him to the International Animal Rescue clinic without waiting for a BKSDA official to accompany them.
They set off at sunrise by motorbike and arrived to find the medical team at the centre waiting for the arrival of the sick baby. It was a relief to everyone that Gito had survived the arduous nine hour journey.
Gito, who is only between three and four months old, was put on a drip to rehydrate him and given a thorough medical check up. He was dehydrated, feverish, with stiff hands and feet. He was also suffering from diarrhoea. Tests also revealed that he was suffering from sarcoptic mange, a highly contagious skin disease that causes intense itching and irritation.
Treatment was begun immediately to relieve the condition and the medical team is shown in the video massaging coconut oil into his skin to soothe and soften it.
Alan Knight, chief executive of International Animal Rescue, said: “It’s hard to stomach the shocking state Gito was in when we rescued him.
“Our team has seen a significant increase in the number of baby orangutans being kept as pets and some of them have only recently been taken from the wild. This is the result of the forest fires devastating Indonesia and leaving wild orangutans without food or shelter.
“Those that escape being burnt alive are left exposed and vulnerable, under threat of starving to death or being killed or captured by human beings.
“Gito is in safe hands now and receiving expert treatment and care at our centre in Ketapang. Tragically, though, there are many more like him in desperate need of our help.
“Forest fires in Ketapang Regency have resulted in an increase in the number of baby orangutans being captured. These helpless animals can and will be rescued – but we urgently need more funding for our work.
“The public responded magnificently earlier this year when we rescued Budi the baby orangutan and I’m praying for the same generous response once again when people see the sorry state of little Gito and read his story.”
Visit www.internationalanimalrescue.org for more information.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.sussexexpress.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pages/Sussex-Express/
3) Follow us on Twitter @sussex_express
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Sussex Express - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.