LEWES NEVILLE WI: May is the month we debate the resolutions that will go forward to the AGM in Brighton in June. Anne Stamper from Ringmer WI is our delegate at this meeting and she listened to our discussions so that she can represent us there. There are two resolutions: one calling on supermarkets to sign up to a voluntary agreement to avoid food waste, thereby passing on surplus food to charities, helping address the issue of increasing food poverty in the UK. The other resolution called upon HM Government and the NHS to provide facilities to enable carers to stay with people with Alzheimer;s disease and dementia that have been admitted to hospital. There was lively discussion on both issues. The meeting felt that quite a bit was being done to address the floor waste problem by supermarkets, but the backing of the WI could encourage them to go much further. The practicalities of having a carer stay with a patient with Alzheimer’s were discussed and it was agreed that where possible it should be facilitated. The meeting voted to support both resolutions. We had a workshop on decorating cookies organised by member Stella Stephens and assisted by her daughter Sarah. It was good fun and even those of us who didn’t think we were creative, produced some pleasing results to take home. Next month Andy Dinsdale will be talking about Flotsam and Jetsam, beach combing in the South East. I am sure we have all gathered shells and other bits and pieces while walking on the beach as the competition is to bring the result of our beach combing.

RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION AGM: (Extracts from Minutes). Alan Chapman reported that it had been an interesting year and that the residents association continued to be a voice for the community. Election of Officers: Sarah Neels was proposed and seconded as representative from the Tenants Association (TOLD) and she offered to stand as Vice Chairman. She was elected to serve as a third co-¬chair along with the current committee, who have agreed to stand for office for another year and were re¬-elected. The present constitution is not fit for purpose and the committee will review it in the next few weeks. PCSO Julie McNirlan spoke on several subjects and went on to report on crime in the area since the March meeting. There were reports of antisocial behaviour, petty theft and damage mainly to cars. Julie stressed that members of the public should report all incidents of antisocial behaviour by ringing 101. The response time can be very long but the police need to build up a picture of what is going on. If there is personal threat 999 should be used. The police can be contacted by email The problem of horses using the twitten between Highdown Road and the Motor Road was raised. Ruth O’Keeffe said the this was a public footpath and that signage was going to be put at the top and bottom to this effect, so that riders using the path can be challenged with authority. The barriers that used to be there could be put back either a single barrier or two further apart, to enable people on mobility scooters or with push chairs to use it. Jackie Bishop from St. Annes Church told us about the renovations and alterations planned for St Mary’s Church Hall. It is owned by the Chichester Diocese. It was built by the church and until recently church services and a Sunday School took place there. It is licensed to hold weddings. It is well used and with the reduction of facilities for community use, it represents very good value at £6 per hour to hire. Work will be starting in June when the roof, guttering and windows will be replaced. A second phase would see the installation of a new kitchen and also the refurbishment of the annex, which at present is used for storage, made into a useable room which would have a separate entrance and would also be available for hire. The old wooden chairs will also be replaced. From September 12 the 167 bus will run through Wallands a few times a day.

ST MARY’S SUPPORTERS CLUB: Club AGM will take place on June 6 at 8pm. Make a note in your diaries.

WALLANDS SCHOOL: Vacancy for Clerk to the Governors. The Governing Body is looking for an individual who is reliable, self-motivated, organised and good with people. Good administrative and IT skills, and understand the importance of confidentiality. You will work closely with the Chair of Governors, Headteacher and other governors. You will advise the governing body on procedural and legislative matters. Tasks include the preparation and circulation of meeting papers, minute taking and maintaining a business calendar. Hours: 130 per year. For an informal chat about the position and application form please contact Ruth, on 01273 472776 for option two. Following on from our chess teams success earlier in the year, we went to the Sussex primary schools’ finals held in Lindfield. It was a huge achievement to get to the finals, as originally 64 teams were entered from all across Sussex. The boys were completely relaxed playing their matches in division one. Their achievement continued to take them to the final where they won on boards one and three; this meant they won the tie break and became the Sussex Primary School Chess Winners. Congratulations to Jonathan Britnell, Solomon Mitchell, Jacob Wynn and Ben Maidment. Sara Riley organised the annual Yr3/4 Eastbourne tennis competition this week held at Southdowns club, in which we entered a team of eight Yr4 boys and girls. Mrs Spencer said the children were respectful, showed great sportsmanship and most importantly maintained good humour in the rain. Well done to all of you for your teamwork, gathering points in skill games and drills. Seven schools entered and we finished fourth.

CHRIST CHURCH: Worship on Sunday at 10.30am will be led by Rev Peter Rayson. At 6.30pm we will be joining with St Anne’s Church for a Choral Evensong. Next Friday we have our Messy Church. The theme this time is Dry Bones and we will have craft activities, celebration and lunch based on this theme. This free event is open to all ages but children must be accompanied by an adult.

JUMBLE SALE: Nevill Juvenile Bonfire Society will be holding a Jumble Sale at Ringmer Village Hall on Saturday June 4; doors open 2pm. We will be collecting jumble in your area during the evening of Friday June 3 from 6pm and would be grateful if you could leave any jumble by your front gate for us. This will avoid disturbing you. Unfortunately we are unable to collect any large or electrical items such as beds, fridges etc. Our next sale will be July 23.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at

2) Like our Facebook page at

3) Follow us on Twitter @sussex_express

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Sussex Express - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.