Warning after mirror on Lewes bedroom windowsill sparks fire

An 80-year-old Lewes resident is warning people not to leave mirrors on the windowsill after a fire was started in his bedroom.

Wednesday, 12th May 2021, 4:36 pm
Fire warning

The man, who lives in Montacute Road, was leaving home to walk his dog at around 1pm on March 9 when he heard his smoke alarm go off.

He went back upstairs to find ‘smoke everywhere’ and quickly called the fire service.

It transpired that a convex mirror sat on the windowsill had caused the curtain to catch alight.

Firefighters quickly arrived on the scene and were able to put out the fire.

But the resident said the situation could have been ‘very serious’ had there been any delays.

His curtain was ruined and the carpet and wall both suffered water damage from the hose.

Now he wants to warn others not to leave mirrors by the window, particularly on sunny days.

“It’s very important – people could get killed, quite honestly,” he said.

He was ‘very lucky’ his smoke alarm was working and urged people to check theirs were up-to-date, too.