Warning after two kitchen fire call outs on the same day in Berwick and Newhaven

Fire
Fire

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to take care in the kitchen, especially around tea-time when it is easy to get distracted, after two fires in Berwick and Newhaven.

The first kitchen fire occurred at 5.45pm on Sunday (April 19) at a property in Station Road, Berwick.

Three appliances were mobilised from Hailsham, Eastbourne and Seaford to tackle the small fire on the electric hob, after concerns the owner was still inside. A Home Safety Visit was then carried out.

A second kitchen fire took place in Valley Road, Newhaven, and two crews from Newhaven were mobilised to the incident at 6.55pm. The fire was out on arrival and a Positive Pressure Ventilation Fan was used to blow smoke from the property.

A fire service spokesman said: “Luckily, no one was injured but this is not always the case. More than half of accidental fires at home are started by cooking. Check out our website to find lots of tips for keeping safe.”