I am sad to see that G Green (last week’s letters [November 11]) feels that Newhaven Town Council should not be supporting Newhaven’s wonderful local voluntary organisations by giving them grants.
These organisations work extremely hard to make our community more vibrant and provide facilities, services and events for local people. They work tirelessly to raise funds, but often have difficulty in making ends meet and I know that the support that the town council can give them is highly valued and very important.
The costs to council tax payers of providing this support are very small – a band D council tax payer in 2014-15 contributed £3.16 towards grant aid – which works out at less than 0.35 per cent of Mr/Ms Green’s council tax bill. Or, to put it another way, approximately 6p per week!
I think this is extremely good value for the rich and wide variety of things provided to local residents by these organisations!
However, if Mr/Ms Green disagrees, perhaps they could come along to one of our meetings and meet with our (unpaid) councillors and ask us to consider stopping this service to our local community groups.
Some of the things the grant aid paid for were:
– Buoyancy aids for children and young people in the community being taught to sail by Newhaven &Seaford Sailing Club.
– Tennis racquets and balls to enable children and young people who cannot afford their own to play tennis at Newhaven Tennis Club
– A Christmas concert and tea for lonely elderly residents organised by the Rotary Club
– Help towards the provision of specialist care holidays for local disabled people and their carers organised by Vitalise.
– Events that can be enjoyed by the whole community, such as Denton Community Challenge, art exhibitions, storytelling and a special World War One play performed by Meeching Amateur Dramatics at Newhaven Fort to commemorate the 100 th anniversary of the First World War.
Many of these things might not be able to be provided without the support of the town council.
Ifor one am proud of the work carried out by local organisations and am delighted that the town council can help them in this way. I myself am happy to continue paying the £3.16 a year on my council tax for these brilliant and extremely worthwhile beneficiaries of our grant scheme.
Town Mayor of Newhaven