Chichester's comeback leaves Oxford University needing a lecture

Chichester clicked in the last 20 minutes to claw back a vital point in a 3-3 home draw with Oxford University and stay third in the South open premier division one.

The hosts started with purpose but wasted chances.

Oxford broke down the left wing and poor stepping out from Chichester saw them reach the D and the ball popped up off Steve Spear’s stick for a university player to volley home from a tight angle.

Oxford added another before the break and Chichester went down to ten players with Martin Gough tripping an Oxford player as he was falling over himself.

The start of the second half saw Chichester go close to scoring with Alex Baxter denied. But when Oxford got back into the D they quickly increased the lead to 3-0.

Chichester were chasing shadows for the next ten minutes.

It wasn’t until Jack Lerwill’s inspirational run from the centre of the pitch to slot the ball to a waiting Andrew Sparshott to make it 3-1 that Chichester started to play. Lerwill again set up Sparshott for his second.

Luke Matthews arrived on shoulder of the D unmarked with time only to miss a golden chance.

Sparshott was deliberately tripped, which the umpire spotted and Chichester gained a short corner. Once again Sparshott beat the keeper to the ball and squeezed it under him to score.

A dubious decision from the umpire gave a short corner to Oxford for the last hit of the game, but a great save from Dan Godsmark denied Oxford.

Honourable Artillery Co 2 Chichester II 0

Chichester were cumbersome early on, gifting HAC early chances. One from a short corner was well saved by Gotham in goal.

Brixey began to control the middle of the park assisted by Lunn and Palmer but the pressure failed to turn into goals.

Chichester conceded a short corner and went down to ten men. A fine save by Gotham wasn’t enough and Chichester conceded.

HAC scored next again from another short corner. After the break, Holton and Brixey created chances before Hayward and man of the match Gotham prevented a third for the hosts.

Chichester Priory Pk Ladies II 1 South Saxons 6

Just when Chichester thought they had it all worked out the wheels not only came off, they exploded too.

They began by watching the opposition’s midfielders roam freely, and consequently South Saxons went ahead after about five minutes.

Priory Park regained their composure and Sally Thew equalised.

The away side kept pushing forward, forcing Chichester into unforced errors, and they were 3-1 up at half-time. South Saxons scored three more, leaving Chichester demoralised but looking forward to putting it right next time out away to Mid Sussex.

CHICHESTER: Elena Hlynianski, Mel Banks, Mel Howarth, Sharon Rich, Wianneke Kastelein Beth Marks, Kate Helme, Tracy Austin, Lyndsay Hudson, Sally Thew, Lottie Greenlees, Anastasia Boonen-Vases, Amy Chaplin, Elaine Murphy.

Hailsham Ladies 10 Centurions 1

Ladies’ Sussex League

With only ten players, some carrying injuries, a bright start by Centurions saw Pordage taking the ball straight to the opposition D. They were thwarted by a quick counter-attack from Hailsham, resulting in their first goal. An unfortunate slip from Centurions followed and it was 2-0.

Brooker took the ball right to the Hailsham D, but again Hailsham turned it around.

At 4-0 down, Mealing and Williams set up Thew, who scored, but it was 5-1 at the break.

Hedge produced some sparkling saves and was unlucky when two crept in by the post.

Centurions continued to attack, Harbord and Johnston getting to the edge of the D but unable to penetrate the Hailsham defence.

Proctor and Brown felt the heat in keeping the Hailsham forwards at bay.

The final score did not reflect the Centurions’ determination.

CENTURIONS: C Hedge, M Harbord, L Proctor, L Thew, C Mealing, M Johnston, N Williams, D Brown, D Brooker, Anna Pordage.

Crowborough 1 Chichester Bad Habits 1

Despite Chichester’s confident start, Crowborough broke to take an early lead.

Chichester quickly recovered with a well-placed equaliser by Emma Bain.

Chichester’s solid defence prevented any further Crowborough advances in the second half.

BAD HABITS: T Willway, C Gilmour, E Bain, E Cruttenden, S Lake, L McKie, R Duckers, J Cleghorn, M Mahoney, K Cosens, G Dixon, D Wilkins, K Wingfield.

Salisbury 1 Chichester Friars 4

Salisbury scored a breakaway goal midway through the first half and Chichester had little answer.

However a short corner right on half-time saw Andy Savory score with an accurate shot.

In the second half the Friars were a different team, with more determination and accuracy.

Chichester’s superior possession enabled them to play at their pace. Goals from Chris Pacey, Tracy Boyce and another short corner from Savory meant Friars ran out winners.

FRIARS: I Austin, D Alexander, A Osborne, D Jaeger, N Pacey, C Smith, D Walters, R Sabin, A Savory, A Strange, T Boyce, C Pacey.

Chichester Chipmunks 5 Worthing IV 3

Chichester started where they had left off at Brighton with a stunning first-half performance.

Swift interplay saw Chichester pushing forward, almost too quickly at times, and tireless running from the forwards gave Worthing little time to settle.

After a good save from Chichester’s first penalty corner Hindmarsh converted the second with a rasping drive. Holden increased the lead before Worthing drew one back. Two more Chipmunks goals came before half-time.

After the interval Chichester rested on their laurels and Worthing picked up the pace. Once again Donaldson held steady although Worthing managed to score twice more with Chichester also converting.

The pick of the goals came from Clark marauding from left-back, breaking into the Worthing D and coolly converting.

Chichester are now safely in mid-table.

CHIPMUNKS: Donaldson, Clark, Brixey, Neame, Gleeson J, Sturdy, Gleeson T, Hindmarsh, Kathegesu, Sowden, Lowther, Creswick, Laner-Smith, Holden.

Horsham Hotshots 0 Chichester Cherubs 0

Sussex Development League

Chichester began strongly and Gibbons, Shaw and Robson caused the opposition problems.

A strong midfield presence from Troy and Dinnage with the determination of Hutchings prevented many Horsham offensives.

Hetherington was unbeatable in the Chichester goal and resolute defending from Creswick, Palmer and Jarcyzk limited the Horsham opportunities.

Despite attacks through Stemp, Woodruff and Donaldson, Chichester were unable to score.