Dean start defence of Trophy with good win

ROTTINGDEAN started the defence of the Intersport of Lewes Trophy title they won last year with a fairly convincing 69-run victory over a good Heathfield side.

In a game reduced to 39 overs per side due to a delayed start because of rain, Rottingdean batted first and Heathfield had them in a spot of bother at 42-3 in the 12th over.

But then George Ledden and James Grantham put on 174 for the fourth wicket in 24 overs, which effectively took the game away from Heathfield. Ledden eventually made 92 and Grantham 91. Dan James took 4-46 and James Bentley 2-24.

When Heathfield batted they also lost early wickets but never really recovered, finishing 175 all out in 33.3 overs. Ian Long top-scored with 58 not out while Oliver Robertshaw and Ian Penfold chipped in with 31 and 23 respectively.

Mark Smith took 3-53, Mushtaq Abdul Islam 2-23, Alex Potter 2-24 and Adam Crassweller 2-27.

Laughton* 163-3 (20 overs)

Forest Row 122 (19.2 overs)

SO here we go again, the start of a new season marked by a showery day.

With Laughton’s ground unavailable due to the wet conditions, the match looked like being decided on the toss of a coin, but Forest Row kindly offered to host the match and the game was on, if reduced to a Twenty20 format.

Forest Row won the toss and elected to bowl – and that looked a good move with both Laughton openers going early, with the score on 26-2.

However, the return of Jamie Russell to Laughton was to prove decisive, with a score of 77 not out and a partnership of 118 with Tom Glenn (49). Laughton ended their innings on 163.

With no tea break to try to beat the weather, Forest Row quickly took their turn with the bat. They soon started to build an innings, getting ahead of the early Laughton run rate and on the overall required rate, with Neil Divall contributing a useful 45.

However, three wickets each from Glenn (3-9 in three overs) and captain Gary Wickens (3-23 in 3.2 overs) saw the visitors turned hosts out for 122 with four balls remaining.

THE opening fixture of the season for Polegate & Stone Cross was a total washout, with not a ball bowled in the first round match of the Intersport of Lewes Invitational Cup at Fletching.

With the pitch waterlogged, the result was decided on the toss of a coin. Polegate club captain Stuart Tibble correctly chose heads, so Polegate now move on to the second round of the Cup, while Fletching must seek success in the Plate Competition.

HAILHAM 3rd/4th XI made the short journey to Pevensey to play a much-needed pre-season friendly on Saturday.

Despite the heavy rain around they managed to get in a full game and learn about the new and young players fighting for places this season.

Against a strong Pevensey team it was always going to be hard. Pevensey set a total of 201 largely down to Jon Plumbley’s 100.

There were some big positives for Hailsham, new players Joel Cottingham (1-31) and Perry Holland (1-36) looked to be good additions to the team.

Also the four juniors Curtis Farley (1-30), Alfie Green (1-10), Sachin Jose (0-28) and Martyn Cleveland (0-25) bowled very well indeed.

In response Hailsham struggled to keep the scoreboard ticking and soon feel behind the run rate, and only a determined 50 from Steve Bowden and a powerful 24 from Kevin Hallett got Hailsham past the 100 mark.

They were soon bowled out for 123, The Royal India man of the match was Bowden for a captain’s performance with the bat.

This was a great chance to blow out the cobwebs and get things in place for a big season for Hailsham’s 3rds and 4ths in the league.

If you are interested in joining Hailsham Cricket Club at any standard please get in contact with Rob Wilkinson on 07980 146841 or