Depleted Hailsham defeated

East Sussex Cricket League Division Two

Hailsham 157 Crowbrough* 158-6

HAILSHAM made the journey to Crowbrough with a depleted bowling line-up on a hot and sunny day.

When skipper Matt Dawber won the toss he had no hesitation in asking to bat first on what looked a very dry and flat wicket. Hailsham lost Jaz Walder early on and then lost wickets at regular intervals throughout the whole innings.

Several batsmen got themselves settled at the crease – Mike Ambler (31), Rahul Chauhan (44), Cameron Ballard (37) and Stewart Kennedy (20) – but failed to push on and make that big score that would have moulded a decent total.

Hailsham’s innings dried out towards the end and they were all out for 157, giving Crowbrough two overs as well. Guy Nicholls took 3-34 while Ian Millman, John Foskett and Michael Parker all took two wickets.

John Storey Tennant and Mart Archer opened up with the old ball in Crowborough’s reply but, after six overs, and with very little happening, the new cherry was called for.

Both bowled tidily but it wasn’t until the introduction of Chauhan (2-21) that the ball started swinging around and causing problems. On debut, he claimed 2-21 from nine overs, well backed up by Bok Rahman and Archer.

As the run rate crept up due to some tight bowling and solid fielding, the wickets started to fall. Storey Tennant re-entered the attack and was looking dangerous. Off the last over, Crowbrough needed 10 and secured a win with a six off the third to last ball to secure maximum points.

Hailsham’s Perry Winkles man of the match went to Rahul for a superb debut, played in very different conditions than he is use to.

Laughton* 217-5 Chiddingly 114-7

At last a Saturday to enjoy cricket without getting wet, cold or blown away.

Chiddingly won the toss and opted to put their hosts into bat. After a steady start, Laughton got to 114 before the second wicket fell with a sensible approach following the previous week’s collapse against Robertsbridge. Andy Jenks contributed a useful 42 before being bowled by Sam Ticehurst (2-41).

The home side then slowed somewhat and it took a combination of Nick Lanaway (24), Lee Gillman (55 not out) and Chris Hulbert to push things on with some boundaries – a good idea at the hottest part of the day. Captain Gary Wickens opting to declare once maximum batting points had been reached.

After the tea break it was Chiddingly’s turn with the bat, in a bid to chase down the 217 set by Laughton. However, the bowlers had different ideas, with Stuart Easton (4-37) taking two early wickets to leave the score on 4-2.

Chiddingly then dug in determinedly to hold to their wickets. Despite the home side regular changing the bowling attack – and apart from a small blip, with three wickets falling in quick succession – the visitors saw out the remaining overs to draw. Nick Moulds top-scored with 37.

Rye 187-9 Robertsbridge 48

IT was deja-vu at Rye as Robertsbridge slumped to a 139-run defeat. In remarkably similar circumstances to last year, Rye were struggling on 100-8 after 31 overs, with Allan Hughes (3-25) and James Pexton (4-33) doing the damage. Then Martin Blincoe (29 not out) and Craig Pierce (45 not out) came together and batted out the remaining overs to set a target of 188 to win.

After Sandan Dias had removed both Robertsbridge openers, Pierce (5-25) did his more customary job with the ball to inflict a heavy defeat on the visitors. Jackson Woodcock also weighed in with 3-8.

OTHER RESULTS: Newick 140 (40.3 ovs; Mark Symonds 46; Peter Maynard 3-8 off nine overs, Stuart Reed 3-6) won by 1 run away to Battle 139 (35.4 ovs; Ben Ridgway 51; Mark Budd 5-26). Fletchin g 147 (48.3 ovs; Terry Lucas 63; Dominic Bowen 5-28) drew at home to Bells Yew Green 141-9 (44 ovs; Dan McInerney 32; Dan Saunders 3-39).