East Sussex Cricket League Div 3-7: Week Six Round Up


Polegate & Stone Cross 110 Newhaven* 113-1

POLEGATE crashed to a nine-wicket defeat at Newhaven, despite an outstanding half-century from opener Nick Corbett.

Put in to bat, Polegate were soon in deep trouble. The traditionally prolific Rob Warner was undone by a low off-cutter after scoring three and with just 11 on the board. Andy “Tink” Johnson, elevated from the Seconds, suffered his first league dismissal of the season: caught for two, to give him a remarkable average of 251.

That was no consolation, though, as two more dismissals followed swiftly, reducing Polegate to 49-4. Skipper Stuart Tibble fell to a stupendous slip catch by Nick Young, one of three victims for Danny Pollard.

At the other end, however, Corbett remained largely untroubled as he provided an object-lesson in technique and application.

The balance began to tip slightly as he and number six Ben Hughes took the visitors to 76-4.

But the pendulum then shifted violently back towards Newhaven, as three more batsmen were dismissed for the addition of just three runs. Among them was Ben Hughes, adjudged lbw, with 13 to his name.

Only one more visiting batsman attained double figures: Polegate No.9 Ben Davis made a valiant effort to wrest the advantage back again, blasting 19 runs that included a huge six onto the nearby bowling green.

Once he’d gone though, the resistance was all but ended – and Corbett was the last man out for a masterful 57. Polegate’s final total was just 110 off 36.2 overs. The most successful home bowlers were Matt Gomm (3-27) and Pollard (3-43).

Ben Davis remained in aggressive mood as he opened the Polegate bowling – but he never succeeded in finding the edges he deserved. Polegate’s only success with the ball came when occasional bowler Ben Hughes dismissed Lee Poulton for 28.

Two overs later, it was all over, with Newhaven opening batsman Chris Baker still there with a magnificent 66 not out. The home side’s 113-1 had occupied 24.2 overs, and had taken just over an hour-and-a-half.

Blackboys 96 Laughton* 100-3

LAUGHTON thoroughly out-played visitors Blackboys to maintain their 100 per cent record with a win at the Mayfield.

Laughton won the toss and put Blackboys into bat. After the rain and despite the effort of Mark Dann, who top scored with 31, the visitors slumped from 68-2 to 96 all out, though they were not helped by only having 10 players and having to bat in the worst of the conditions on a rain-affected afternoon. But nevertheless, the Laughton bowlers put them to the sword.

The previous week, the injured Nick Lanaway’s bat helped Andy Jenks to a century... this week his boots gave Marcus Pearson 5-15 from his 9.1 overs.

Despite a bright start, having reached 68-1, Blackboys were undone by the bowling of Pearson, while Gary Wickens chipped in with 3-28 and Blackboys were bowled out for a sorry looking 96.

There was time before the tea interval for Laughton to start their innings and they made an excellent start, reaching 45 for no wicket by the break.

After tea Blackboys did perk up a little to take three quick wickets, but once Lee Gillman got his eye in, after being dropped first ball, the match was quickly concluded. Gilman made 34 not out, seeing Laughton home with a six, and Jon Porter hit 28, as the hosts won with more than 30 overs to spare. Colin Eade took 2-36, both catches by by wicket keeper Jamie Marchant.

OTHER RESULTS: Tunbridge Wells Borderers 68 (Gary Stevens 5-14 off 12 overs, seven maidens) lost to Bells Yew Green* 71-5; Dicker* 263-5d (Matt Hitchen 69, Ben Hitchen 85, Dan Hitchen 59*) beat Eastbourne III 77; Ditchling II 213-7d (Greg Hollings 90) drew with Wadhurst 197-8*


Heathfield Park II* 191-9 Lewes St Michael’s 175- 8

THIS drawn match possibly represents the culmination of a frustrating day for both teams.

On the occasion of his 50th birthday, home skipper Dave Robertshaw again lost the toss and saw his Park side put in by Lewes St Michael’s – he but would have chosen to bat anyway on a good looking strip which actually offered the bowlers more than normal.

With three of the Park top four unavailable, a new look opening partnership of Daniel Long and Mick March put 30 on for the first wicket against a keen Saints side.

Once Long was out for 18 to Harry Oliver, Robertshaw and March took the score to 114 at drinks in an excellent partnership to set up what looked like a 220-plus score. The Saints’ bowlers found it hard work and struggled to break up Heathfield’s in-form batting duo.

However, the Robertshaw was finally out for 55 and March for 52 and, from cruising on 142-1, Park struggled with their middle order then stagnating against some tight bowling where the wickets were shared around. Ed Salkield (2-50) Phil Lucas (2-26) were the best of LSM bowling attack.

The innings became tough work for both sides as Heathfield couldn’t quite make 210 while LSM couldn’t quite bowl them out as Heathfield finished on 191-9 after 50 overs.

After a fine tea the Park bowlers started tightly with Simon Briggs and Dave Williams tying the openers down – and Saints suffered an early setback with the loss of Syd Oliver, bowled by Williams for one. Phil Lucas (24) and John Brown (25) settled the ship and the run rate started to creep up, with the overs starting to run out. Michael Carey bowled well for Heathfield, taking 4-58, while Simon Briggs bowled economically.

When Oliver Hodgetts was run out after a competent 18, the Saints big-hitters went in to win the game, with Mark Jordan and Ash Oliver both knocking 19 each, but it was to no avail and the game petered out to a draw, despite Ed Salkield’s unbeaten 40, which kept the game close up until the end. Heathfield Park drop to fourth whilst Saints consolidate their second place

Mayfield 178 Rotherfield* 124

MAYFIELD kept their winning form on Saturday with a 54-run victory away at near neighbours Rotherfield. The Division Four leaders travelled the short distance to face their local rivals, where the home side won the toss and asked Mayfield to bat.

Rotherfield’s bowlers started well, seeing both visiting openers back in the pavilion with less than 20 on the board. Dan Cooke (36) and Jimmy Hortle (21) then settled the Mayfield nerves, before both fell to first change Dave Harman (2-30).

Rob Sharma and Andy Parker added 50 before Parker was lbw for 26, to become one of four victims for Kevin Simmonds (4-44). Sharma scored 53 before John Elms (3-69) came back to polish off the tail.

With 44 overs to chase 178, Rotherfield were in with a good chance to put a dent in Mayfield’s unbeaten record. Their reply never really got going, though, as wickets fell regularly to the pace of opening pair Sharma (4-27) and Cooke (3-22). Warren Wright also took 2-13. The tail wagged briefly, in particular through Zac Coe, who top-scored with 32 coming in at No.10, but in the end Rotherfield fell well short.

Another 30 points saw Mayfield open up a 20-point gap at the top, as closest rivals Lewes St Michael’s could only draw. This week Mayfield return home to play bottom club Rottingdean 2nd XI, while Rotherfield host Firle.

OTHER RESULTS: Firle 249-3d* (Karoki Lewis 77, Zach Emett 70 not out, Richard Gravett 52 not out) beat Pett 57 (Richard Gravett 4-11); Newick II* 88 (Graham Primett 4-21) lost to East Dean 90-9 (Mark Budd 6-30); Little Common 196 (Theo Dowse 57; Liam Kayando 5-51) drew with Rottingdean II 152-6 (Tim Bickmore 56 not out; S Brook 4-21).


Ringmer II 206-9 Chiddingly II* 153-7

MATCH drawn. Chiddingly won the toss and inserted Ringmer on a damp and grassy wicket. Ringmer started well, scoring freely before a rain delay, after which Chiddingly dominated, removing both openers Neil Harris (23) and Ant Brook (12). Ringmer then slumped to 95-8 with 25 overs remaining, with only Chris Beech reaching double figures (25). Then came the Ringmer fight back, with Graham Banningtyne (37) and 16-year-old Tom Welch (35 not out) together putting on 98 runs for the ninth wicket. Ringmer completed their 50 overs on 206-9. Jon Deverilll (3-30) was the pick of the Chiddingly bowlers.

Chiddingly’s reply started well with Deverilll (23) scoring freely on a drying wicket. Ringmer’s Harris (3-34) then made quick breakthroughsk, reducing Chiddingly to 80-5.

Ringmer removed two further batsman through the bowling of Bush and Beech but Chiddingly hung on for the draw, with skipper Charlie Tyson-Taylor (60) being the mainstay of the innings.

OTHER RESULTS: Fletching II* 171 (Chris Cocklin 4-67) lost to Buxted Park II (Jim Billings 73 not out, Nathan Millar 70 not out); St Peters II 145 (Anthony Rowland 60; Mike Keeler 4-35) lost to Forest Row* 146-1 (Steven Wright 42, Daniel Gardner 89 not out); Maresfield 127 (Harry McLeod 53; James Fellows 6-37) lost to Isfield* 128-9; DPB 179 (Martin Hanmer 63; M Howard 5-35) beat Selmeston & Alciston* 146.


Robertsbridge II 136 Lewes St Michaels II* 140-3

KEITH Pagan scored a half century but it was not enough for Robertsbridge as they went down by seven wickets in Lewes on Saturday. Saint Michaels won the toss and decided to bowl. Robertsbridge got off to an explosive start when Pagan bludgeoned Kev Allsobrook’s first over for 28. Pagan reached his half century before being caught superbly for 59 by young Theo Whiting off the bowling of Charlie Saunders.

Ollie Smith (30) was the only significant support to Pagan as Charlie Saunders (4-47), brother Paul (2-7) and Joe Piller (3-34) tore the heart out of the innings. In reply, Saints got off to a positive start, Joe Whiting settling in to make an assured half century.

After the loss of Stewart Purdie to Philip Green for nine, Steve Mitchell partnered Whiting with a contribution of 35. When Whiting (51) and Mitchell were dismissed in quick succession, John Park (17 not out) and Steve Williams comfortably knocked off the winning runs in 23 overs.

Waldron* 200-9d Hastings & SLP III 201-5

A VASTLY under strength Waldron side, with only nine players, took to the field against a young and hungry Hastings team in another top table clash.

Losing the toss, Waldron were asked to bat and were soon in trouble at 30-3. However, some fine batting by Graham Chapman (79) and Chris Sargeant (83), in a partnership of 160, brought some cheer to the Waldron hearts.

Rain interupted play for 15 minutes and possibly affected the batsmen’s concentration, with the innings finally brought to a close on 200 all out.

Hastings made a bullish start, plundering 80 in the first 10 overs until Waldron made a breakthrough, with Andy Bourne taking a catch at cover point. A fine spell of slow bowling then ensued between Mathew Chambers and Geoff Saunders, slowing the run rate and taking the wicket tally to five. Momentarily the game was in the balance but with gaps in the field and so many overs to play with, Hastings eased past the total. Waldron left the field to ponder what could have been achieved with a full side.

Bexhill III 252-6 Glynde III* 150-7

MATCH drawn. Visitors Bexhill were asked to bat and did so with gusto, as Will Smith (89) and Sanath Habaz (69) made batting look easy. Only Jamie Morgan (4-71) caused the batsmen any problems. After tea Glynde held on for the draw, Tim Stirmey (30) and Adrian Townshend (27) top-scoring, with John Bywater (3-32) trying in vain to break the Glynde batting.

OTHER RESULTS: Linden Park III* 191 (Hugh Turner 51; Chris Lindop 5-54) lost to Willingdon II (Richard Cooknell 67); Udimore 130-9 (Warren Freer 4-44) beat Nutley* 93 (Alan Poulter 52 not out; Shridhar Mani 4-25, Mick Murray 4-12).


Wadhurst II 121 Hailsham II* 122-1

HAILSHAM came out on top against Wadhurst in a top versus bottom clash in Division Seven.

After winning the toss Hailsham decided to field first on a damp wicket in overcast conditions. The Wadhurst innings started well and they were soon 30 without loss, until the rain came and the teams had to leave the field for 15 minutes. This allowed the hosts to regroup and introduce slow bowlers Mart Archer (4-46 off 13 overs) and Tom Walder (2-20 off nine overs). This paid off immediately and Wadhurst collapsed from 58-1 to 66-6. Scott Vidler came on to clean up the tail, bagging three wickets for just 11 runs.

After losing Gent early on Dean Noakes (75 not out) and Jon Brittany (33 not out) showed the perfect blend of patience and power to win the match by nine wickets in just 29 overs to remain top of division deven with another maximum 30 points.

Plumpton II* 191-8 Iden II 103

PLUMPTON beat Iden. A knock of 77 from Kelvin Speirs and 40 from Derrick Taylor helped Plumpton reach 191. For 10-man Iden Julian Hanshaw took 5-28.

Iden could only manage 103 in reply, despite an aggressive 52 from opener Martin Sims. Taylor took 5-17 while there were two wickets each for Chris Hammill and Gary Plummer.

OTHER RESULTS: Alfriston* 197-6 beat Newhaven II 121; Bells Yew Green II 160 (Jorge Ehran 60) lost to Hadlow Down & MW*; Rye II* 121 (Jason Hammond 6-44) lost to Preston Village 124-8.