East Sussex Cricket League Div One and Two: Round Up Week 6


Newick 215-9 Ringmer* 208-7

IT was a case of so near yet so far for Ringmer as they ran out of overs idespite a noble attempt to overhaul the respectable target set for them by visitors Newick.

Ringmer won the toss and elected to field. With rain already threatening as Ringmer took to the field, it was only a matter of minutes before it actually came, moments before the first ball was about to be bowled.

Following a delay of 15 minutes, the Newick batsmen began making steady progress on a freshly-moistened wicket.

With sensible batting, the Newick openers made it to 52 before losing the first wicket, Richard Allum bowled by Freddie Wade for 26.

Sam Carter then passed the 50 mark with a patient knock, dispatching the bad ball effectively to accumulate runs with minimal risk.

After some hard going for both sides, the sun finally introduced itself to begin drying the surface. Once the foot holes were sufficiently dry, Ringmer were able to bring Will Saunders into the attack.

And his imact was immediate, removing Carter for 62 with a rising ball just short of a length to be caught behind. And after knocks of 37 by Chris Murphy and 27 from Mark Symonds, Ringmer began to take wickets more quickly.

Dave Page and Murray Barnett picked up two each, while Saunders continued to bowl a good length to be rewarded with final figures of 4-20 off his seven overs.

Newick finished their innings on 215-9 off their 50 overs – a decent target set with the conditions still looking difficult for the batsmen.

Ringmer began their reply cautiously, not surprising with that bit of life in the wicket still and some good bowling by the Newick openers. An early wicket by Rupert Thacker gave the visitors the early edge, but the introduction of Glynn Crees saw a partnership of almost 150 flourish, Crees managing to hit some big boundaries to ease the pair’s need for runs.

However, with the run rate at around six an over, and the Newick attack continuing to bowl tightly, the Ringmer batsmen were having to execute some calculated risks occasionally. And this eventually saw the departure of Crees for a positive 82 when he was caught far in the deep by a good catch from Chris Murphy off the bowling of Thacker.

A couple of quick wickets then saw Newick claw the game back their way again, Thacker striking again to remove opener Mat Savage for 73, leaving Ringmer 62 to win.

As usual the Ringmer batsmen kept the run rate flowing, but the target was just out of reach as they ran out of overs only eight runs short. Murray Barnett was once again not out at the end with 26 while Thacker finished by far the pick of the Newick bowlers, with 6-73 off his 17 overs. Murphy took four catches for Newick.

Barcombe* 174-8 Plumpton 173-8

JUST like Ringmer, Plumpton also came up just short in their run chase, against hosts Barcombe. Batting first, for Barcombe Paul Coppard (38) and David Taylor (42) made solid middle order contributions, before a 25 from Joe Wheatley and a 22 not out from Allan Trower lower down the order helped boost their total to 174-8 off their 50 overs. All six of the Plumpton bowlers took a wicket.

After slumping to 46-5 in reply, a fine 63 from Chris Batchelor, with support from George Martin (25) Tom Freeman (29) and Charlie Wycherley (22) almost saw Plumpton home, with the visitors just failing to get the eight runs required off the last over. For Barcombe, Trower took 3-37 and Joe Wheatley 3-53.

With just one run between the sides and the identical number of wickets falling in each innings, it was fitting both sides picked up the same number of points, 14.

Heathfield Park 137 Willingdon* 99

AFTER three successive defeats, Heathfield Park bounced back by winning a low scoring game on a difficult track at Willingdon.

After being inserted on a surface that was still damp following overnight rain and which produced some inconsistent bounce, Heathfield openers James Bentley and Callum Matthews blunted the opening spell of in-form paceman Duncan Ford, adding 38 for the first wicket.

The introduction of Jack Hepburn’s left arm spin brought quick reward for the home team as Matthews yorked himself when on 15. Bentley soon followed for 26, plumb lbw to a Ford delivery that kept low.

Hepburn alone then accounted for the middle order as the batsmen found it difficult to force the pace on such a slow and turning track. Oli Robertshaw, Terry Penfold (14) and Ian Long (18) were all bowled while Simon Gayton lobbed a return catch for a duck to leave the innings in disarray at 80-6.

However, Hepburn tired and was rested after a good 13-over spell of 5-38. A stand of 36 between James Briggs and Dan James provided a mini-recovery before Briggs was bowled by the returning Ford. James went the same way for a well-made and vital 40, and the innings soon ended on 137. Ford took 3-33 and Danny Craven chipped in with 2-15.

The Willingdon reply got off to a terrible start when Bentley bowled Gareth Wall for a golden duck. He then quickly removed Dan Cleary, Martyn Garnett and Stef Ashford, all caught behind, and Michael Krause was also run out as the home team’s score was reduced to 31-5. Hepburn stood firm as the wickets fell around him but Kapil Sharma quickly departed after hitting a couple of boundaries when Penfold pouched a skied drive off Piers Cowley at long-off.

Craven (12) helped halt the collapse briefly before young Bill Hobden further turned the screw, taking three wickets in his first over, all bowled. Hepburn and Ford added 25 for the last wicket, but Hepburn (45) finally top edged a pull which was well caught by ‘keeper Long off the bowling of Briggs to see the home side dismissed for only 99 and to record a much needed win for Heathfield.

Bentley (4-31) and Hobden (3-21) were the main wicket takers. Briggs conceded just the eight runs off his 5.1 overs. Park must take heart from this result as they face early season leaders Ditchling next.

OTHER RESULTS: Ditchling 210-7 (Chris Saville 57; Adrian Breeds 4-48) lost to Chiddingly 211-5; Iden* 253-4d (Phil Shanks 99 not out, David White 78) drew with Rottingdean 223-5 (Henry Ledden 113 not out).


Hailsham 86 Robertsbridge* 92-3

HAILSHAM, on a high after their 28-run win over Buxted Park the week before, came back down to earth with a bump following this heavy defeat away to Robertsbridge.

After losing the toss for the fifth time this season, Hailsham were asked to bat on a track that was very wet and lively after a heavy night’s rain.

When the first ball flew three feet over Rob Wilkinson’s head the Hailsham batsmen knew they were in for a test. He fell for 10 and was soon followed by Ciaran Treloar, for nought, Matt Dawber, for 10, and Mike Ambler, for one. Hailsham were losing wickets due to good attacking bowling and some indecisive shots. Then a mini revival from John Storey-Tennant (13) and Mike Morgan (36) gave Hailsham hope until these two were removed quickly.

Hailsham were eventually out for a very disappointing 86. Nick Whiteman was pick of the Bridge bowlers with 3-15 off 10 overs while Guy Ballard chipped in with 2-24.

Hailsham clearly needed quick wickets in Robertsbridge’s reply on a ever improving wicket. But despite some good attacking bowling the runs flowed quickly. Treloar, Trevor Scott and Aaron Norwood all took a wicket apiece as Robertsbridge reached their target for the loss of just three wickets.

Bridge captain Matt Wilkinson led the way with an unbeaten 52 as victory was achieved by seven wickets in the 22nd over.

Hailsham captain Rob Wilkinson said: “I am hugely disappointed after last week’s much-improved display. The toss was crucial today and again I lost it – and then we came up against a decent attack with a helpful wicket.

“We will keep working hard and regroup together in order to come back stronger next week for a massive game against Crowbrough. I expect to see everyone working on parts of their game in the week in order to bounce back quickly.”

Herstmonceux 210-7* Rye 173

JACOB Lee starred with the bat – and Greg Watson most definitely starred with the ball – as Herstmonceux managed to end Rye’s season long unbeaten run and topple the league leaders from the top of Division Two in the process.

With Ceux having been put in by their visitors to the Recreation Ground, Lee first set up a good target to defend with a superb 80 from just 89 balls, before Watson then tore through the Rye card, taking no fewer than seven wickets as the hosts won by 37 runs.

Openers Greg Watson (14) and David Bowden managed to get the home side off to a steady start before the rain came down. After just over an hour’s delay, the sides went back out, whereupon Ceux lost their first wicket, Watson lbw to Sandun Dias.

But Bowden was joined by Lee and together they worked to build an innings, picking their shots and accumulating runs. It took a change of bowling at the pavilion end to break their 82-run partnership, Bowden bowled by Gary Willis for 55 off 104 balls, the team then on 117-2.

The next two wickets fell to Jake Bryant (2-32) but the runs kept coming until Craig Pierce (2-48) came back on at the other end and bowled Lee, who by then had scored that impressive near run-a-ball 80 which had included 13 fours. Andy Holt (23), George Wathen (11) and Mickey Toomey then helped guide Ceux to maximum batting points.

The Rye batsmen came out after tea and after some tight overs from Ceux, Dan Seabrook was able to play some more expansive shots while Will Murray kept plugging away at the other end. When first change bowler James Bevis (2-29) came on there was a feeling of déjà vu from the previous week as he took a wicket in his first over again, Seabrook bowled for 39 off 62 balls. Bevis then struck again in his next over at which point Rye’s total was 66-2. It was then that Watson took over at the Bowling Green end – and proceeded to dismiss the middle order at regular intervals, with none of the Rye batsmen able to get into double figures.

Opener Murray fell to Watson in the 38th over, caught at mid wicket after a dogged innings of 53 off 99 balls which included four fours and a six.

No.10 bat Craig Pierce became Watson’s last victim after cracking 30 runs off 16 balls, stumped going for another boundary.

The win sees Ceux jump three places to fifthwhile Rye, are replaced at the top by Buxted Park, who beat Pevensey by 74 runs (details below). Watson’s figures at the end were a magnificent 7-42 off 9.3 overs.

Fletching 190-9 St Peter’s* 101

A HEAVY shower just before the game started, made the toss all-important and, true to recent form, Fletching lost the toss abd were asked to bat. They were quickly in trouble at 39-5, due to fine opening spells from the St Peters bowlers, in particular Rodney Mattiah (4-67).

Fletching’s middle order batsmen rallied, and partnerships between skipper Grant Horscroft (28) and Dan Saunders (48), and then Saunders and Matt Lucas (28) – followed by a vital 10th wicket stand of 63 between Saunders and Tom Randle (19) – helped Fletching recover to post a fine score of 190-9 from their 50 overs.

In reply, the St Peters openers struggled against a fine opening spell from the in-form Saunders (3-39). But it was the introduction of veteran bowlers Horscroft (4-24 from 10 overs) and Glenn Potter (3-16 from 6.1 overs) – combined with fine fielding – that kept the pressure on the Saints batsmen, with the final wicket falling to Potter, with St.Peters 101 all out.

OTHER RESULTS: Buxted Park* 173-7 (Nick Perry 71, Graeme Corbishley 4-80) beat Pevensey 99 (Martyn Tideswell 49*; Craig Olive 6-49); Battle 209-9 (Jeremy Reid 51) beat Crowborough 80 (Mike Gedye 4-22).