East Sussex Cricket League Round-up: Divs 2 and 3

DIVISION TWO Laughton 71 Robertsbridge* 75-3

Finally, the time has come. After the wet season, the league cricket season has started, although it started somewhat better for Robertsbridge than Laughton.

Robertsbridge won the toss and put the visitors in to bat. On a early season wicket, scoring was slow with the first wicket taking more than an hour to fall.

However, after that Laughton struggled to get any partnerships going and, with a great performance from James Pexton (7-31 off 15), their innings was done inside 32 overs with just 71 runs on the board.

Being too early for tea, it was straight back out. Despite determined efforts in the field from Laughton, the home side were to win through in the 30th over for the loss of three wickets. Matt Wilkinson top scored with 35.

Wickets were shared between Stuart Easton, Sam Wright and a great run out from Charlotte Russell.

Hailsham* 152-9 Battle 156-7

HAILSHAM went into Saturday’s game with Battle determined to make amends for the previous week’s disappointing defeat to Rye. But although they improved their batting total by almost 100 they still ended up on the losing side.

Captain Ciaran Treloar won the toss and decided to have a bat; unfortunately Hailsham lost opener Rob Wilkinson and Matt Dawber early. Then the top/middle order chipped in with runs to move Hailsham back into a decent position, Cameron Ballard making 18, Mike Ambler 41, Treloar 15 and Darren Moore 15. Then when the team were looking to push on for a solid finish, wickets started to fall regularly, with only Jaz Walder’s 11 not out adding anything to the score.

Hailsham finished up on 152-9 and knew that if they bowled tight and fielded well they had a good chance of securing their first win of the season.

Battle, in return, got off to a flyer with the Hailsham opening bowlers struggling to find their lines, after 10 overs Battle were 50-0.

Then Mart Archer was introduced and started his mammoth spell (4-52). Soon wickets were falling and everyone’s tails were up, Battle were wobbling and Hailsham had all the momentum.

The opening bowlers came back on for improved second spells, Treloar (2-38) Chris Britton (1-36), but Nos 6 and 7 for Battle steadied the ship and batted very well for the visiting team.

Battle ended up chasing the score down for the loss of seven wickets.

The Perry Winkles man of the match went to Mike Ambler for another controlled and disciplined innings and a whole hearted fielding display.

Newick* 141-9 Rye 116

AT last Newick got to play their first league match – and it ended in a good 25-run win.

Rye won the toss and elected to field. Newick scored 141 for the loss of nine wickets in their 50 overs. David Shutt top scored with 25 runs. Sandum Dias took 3-25 for Rye.

In reply, Newick, in a superb display of fielding, bowled Rye out for 116 in the 37th over. Joe Waylett took 3-6 in 7.4 overs and Greg Bell took 3-55 off 10 overs.

OTHER RESULTS: Crowborough 176-8 (50 ov; John Foskett 28*; Henry Smith 3-16 off 14) drew with Bells Yew Green* 161-7 (43 ov; Dominic Bowen 43*; John Foskett 3-48). Chiddingly* 175 (49 ov; Patrick Soan 30; Dan Saunders 3-49) drew with Fletching 150-8 (44 ov; Extras 31; Phill Dunn 4-26).


Tunbridge Wells Borderers* 158 Uckfield Anderdia 159-9

UCKFIELD travelled to Tunbridge Wells Borderers with little cricket behind them due to the inclement weather.

Winning the toss, Uckfield skipper Mark Cullingford had no hesitation inserting the opposition. Borderers openers Adam Dankert and Mark Havell took a liking to Uckfield erratic bowling and raced to 53 for no wicket, only Cullingford himself showing any early season control with the ball.

Dankert was first to go for a well crafted 42. Wickets started to come for Uckfield, with Chris Brady providing much need control with his swing bowling.

Cullingford ended his fine spell with 4-22 as the Borderers struggled to 82-5. Captain Linton Neill (40) found a partner in Paul Havell (20) before he was caught beautifully at gully by Joseph Burns off impressive debutant Allan Cutinha (2-24).

The breakthrough proved decisive and Ian Evans, back after 12 years, cleaned up the tail with three quick wickets, the last an athletic diving catch by Holman at mid wicket.

Uckfield, chasing 158 for victory, started brightly off the energetic bowling of Havell and the accurate left arm seam from Neill until Kevin Morton fell lbw to Havell.

Nick Collier joined opener Peter Holman and they together took the score to 75-1 with some impressive driving from Collier. A middle order collapse brought Tunbridge Wells back into the game, with Uckfield losing four quick wickets for 10 runs.

However, Holman countered, dispatching anything loose to the boundary, and found solace with Tom Marchant.

Holman, struggling with cramp, eventually fell for a fine 94 with the score on 142. Uckfield, needing a further 17 runs for victory, turned to debutant Cutinha and Burns to steer the team home with one wicket remaining to secure the full 30 points.

Next up Uckfield host Dicker at the Victoria Pleasure Ground.

OTHER RESULTS: Dicker* 107 (44.1 ov; Ben Hitchen 54; Dave Bennett 5-14 off 14.1) lost to Newhaven 108-7 (47.1 ov; Graham Godfrey 30*; Jody Mills 3-16 off 12.1) by three wickets. Pevensey 126 (48.1 ov; John Plumley 47; George Wathen 4-17) beat Herstmonceux* 38 (23.1 ov; Andrew Standen 10; Martin Hole 5-4 off four overs) by 88 runs. Ditchling 162 (44.4 ov) lost to Lewes St Michaels* 166-5 (32 ov); Polegate & Stone Cross v Mayfield cancelled.