East Sussex Cricket League round-up: Divs 7-9

DIVISION SEVEN Plumpton & East Chiltington 2nd XI* 203 Alfriston 96

Plumpton were inserted by hosts Alfriston and made a commendable 203. This total was built round 51 from Phil Ashworth. Three other batsman got into the 20s and 40 extras boosted the total. Peter Copplestone took 3-56 and Tim Sneath 3-27.

In reply, a third wicket stand of 52 between Matthew Harmer (28) and Copplestone (30) was the only real resistance, with Alfriston eventually all out for 96. For Plumpton, Adam Earl (5-28, all bowled) was the main wicket taker.

Glynde 3rd XI* 111 Nutley 112-6

NUTLEY won a low-scoring game after asking the home team to bat on a surprisingly dry and firm track.

Warren Freer (5-32) made early inroads as Glynde slumped to 31-5. However, a half century stand between youngsters Harry Stewart (36) and Simon Warner-Bore (32) saw the hosts to a total of 111, with Nick Avis (3-25) removing them both.

In reply, Nutley had their usual early wobble before Avis (26) and Mark Reed (20 not out) batted confidently to seal victory at 112-6 in 23 overs, with Sam Carden grabbing 4-55.

Newhaven 2nd X1* 118-8 Denton 119-5

NALEEN Sumaneskara took a solitary wicket on Saturday at Fort Road but certainly played a key role in Denton’s victory.

The Ceylon Express bowled 20 overs for 30 runs as Newhaven struggled to post a competitive score, with only Lee Poulton (42 not out) registering a score of note. The Sri Lankan seamer was well supported by fellow veteran Davy Milne who also kept the batsmen pinned down, recording figures of 4-47 in 16 overs. With Oliver Guy and Mark Miles (3-24) also in accurate form, Newhaven had to content themselves with 118 to defend.

That total could have been enough had leg spinner George Burton-Durham been more fortunate in finding the outside edge in the early overs of Denton’s reply.

Greg Tyrell (30) and Matt Atkins (30) survived the spell, however, and 60 for the first wicket gave Denton the platform they needed to coast to victory. Mark McCaughan (36 not out) scored the winning runs with the visitors five wickets down, despite the efforts of Lee Pollard who recorded figures of 4-38 off 10 overs.

OTHER RESULTS: Iden 2nd XI* 118 (47.2 ov; Simon Barden 39; Darryl King 5-31) beat Bells Yew Green 2nd XI 55 (35.3 ov; Jorge Ehren 14; Robin Mayes 4-17) by 63 runs. Udimore* 167 (49.1 ov; Neil Stapley 52; Charlie Jones 5-40, Stuart Everard 4-32) drew with St Peters, Brighton III 72-9 (43 ov; Sudantha De Silva 23; Ben Linklater 4-14).


Rye 2nd XI* 156-6 50 Seaford 3rd XI 65-8

AN understrength Seaford 3rd XI made the long trip to Rye and came away with a dogged draw. Putting the hosts into bat, Seaford’s young bowlers struggled to take wickets at first, with Tony Cousins (46) and Ben Clifton (37) making the main batting contributions – but the visitors young attack stuck to its task.

Simon Pitts removed the stubborn Cousins and Jon Robards bowled Clifton but the pick of the bowlers was Bernard Lewis with 3-9 from nine lively overs. The other wicket was a smart run out by Perry Cooper. Special mention must go to Chris Pope who bowled well with no reward, his second spell only conceding eight runs in six overs.

The late flurry of wickets rewarded a very good last 10 overs as Rye were restricted to 156-6 from the 50 overs. In reply, Gavin Wright and Dan Tuite started well for Seaford, but once they departed it was a rearguard action to save the draw, with skipper Simon Pitts a stumbling block for 18 overs. He was ably assisted by Perry Cooper and Chris Pope as they held out at 65-8 from their 43 overs. Ben Clifton completed a good game with 6-9 from 10 overs.

Next up, Seaford entertain Crowborough.

Hellingly 3rd XI 201-7 Barcombe 2nd XI 59*

HELLINGLY went top with this victory over Barcombe.

Hellingly lost the toss and were put into bat on a very sunny day on a very low keeping wicket. They lost their first wicket in the first over of the innings.

Then a very strong partnership between opener George Hook and Ian Morgan (14) started to put Hellingly ahead. Hook went on to score 50 before being bowled by Neil Beck, who finished with figures of 3-51.

Hellingly finished the innings on 201-7, with late runs coming from Steve Vidler who put on a master class of batting in scoring an unbeaten 76. Throughout the innings Barcombe’s fielding was excellent, with Keith Allsobrook (2-50) and Joby Harris (2-18) taking the remaining wickets.

The Barcombe innings started well for Hellingly, with Joe Hook (4-5 off six overs) demolishing the stumps in each of the first four overs and a run out thrown from third man to Dave Pye who took off the bails.

Adam Pye was soon put on as first change bowler from the pavilion end, and bowled very well to help Hellingly on the road to victory with three brilliant wickets, one of which was caught by skipper Ian Morgan and the other two bowled. Adam Pye finished with figures of 3-4 from three overs

After 19 overs Pye was exchanged for Joe Funnell, who took the last wicket as Barcombe ended up 59 all out after 19.3 overs.

This result puts Hellingly into joint first place in division eight with 48 points.

OTHER RESULTS: Battle 2nd XI v Herstmonceux 2nd XI abandoned; Crowborough 2nd XI* 227-7 dec (48 ov; George Callingham 56, James Grose 58*) beat Wadhurst 2nd XI 106 (34.1 ov; Greg Follows 5-16) by 121 runs. Chiddingly 3rd XI conceded vs Stanmer 2nd XI*.


Polegate & Stone Cross 2nd XI 188 Forest Row 2nd XI 174

POLEGATE 2nd XI took 30 points from their second league game of the season – but have had their victory from a week earlier scratched from the record

Success this time came in a nail-biting game at Forest Row. Put in to bat, Polegate made a solid start, and rarely faltered. Opener Steve Hover put together a polished 34, with able assistance from Dion Saracouli (15) and Andy Johnson, who held the innings together with a solid 28, accumulated over an hour and 20 minutes.

Others were less cautious! Keefe Hughes walloped 17 in 10 minutes until his dismissal saw the innings totter briefly, with three wickets going down for four runs, leaving Polegate on 121-6.

But Liam Conroy then took charge, smashing an unbeaten half-century at just better than a run-a-minute, with four fours and three sixes. In the course of his 50 not out, only one more wicket fell, when Emmett Johnson was caught for 12, and skipper Alan Williams called his batsmen off with the scoreboard showing 188-7, after 45 overs. Murray Divall took 3-41, Andy Angelow 2-57 and Simon McCorron 2-34.

Forest Row’s openers found themselves facing an all-spin attack from Polegate’s young bloods, Nathan Hover and Emmett Johnson, and were soon both back in the pavilion, at 9-2. A fierce spell from youngster Matt Loe put paid to Jordan Holmes, bowled for 39, and, with wickets falling regularly, it fell to No 6 batsman Stacey Pannett to try to rescue the game for the home side. After surviving a confident stumping appeal, he took anchor, punishing any loose balls, and, as Polegate dropped no fewer than four catches, Forest Row were in with every chance of victory at 169-7, with overs in hand.

But it was not to be; the brothers Conroy combined to hustle out the last three batsmen for just five more runs as Pannett was left stranded on 74.

Emmett Johnson was top wicket-taker, with 3-30, while Nathan Hover finished with 2-45 and Stuart Conroy 2-10.

Polegate’s delight was tempered by the news that their victory at Rottingdean seven days earlier had been declared invalid by the East Sussex Cricket League, because permission had not been sought in advance to switch the game away from Wannock Road, which is still unplayable. The match will therefore go down in the records as ‘Abandoned’ and both teams will get nine points.

An appeal is being made.

Rottingdean 3rd XI 149 Tunbridge Wells Borderers 2nd XI* 68

ROTTINGDEAN won by 81 runs. Rottingdean, put in, were bowled out for 149 in 49.5overs. George Clayson scored 32, James Bergin 31 and Barry Harper 28. Ken Fisher took 5-28 aned David Green 2-32. Borderers, in reply, were bowled out for 68 in 26.3 overs. David Green scored 24 while Martin MacLachlan took 4-32 and Jack Cox 3-19.

Bells Yew Green 3rd XI 63 Burwash Weald* 64-2

JAMES Rauter was the star with the ball, taking 6-16 and bowling seven maidens on a damp wicket,

as Burwash Weald made mincemeat of Bells Yew Green at Burwash Common.

He was ably backed up by Sam Gregory (3-21), with Henry Duck taking the other wicket, as BYG were bowled out for a paltry 63 in 39.2 overs. Graham Clout also deserves a mention, bowling as he did 12 overs for eight runs with six maidens.

Burwash Weald made fairly short work of reaching the target, losing two wickets in the 13 overs it took them to reach the target. Danny Long (39) and Martin Wise (19 not out) claimed most of the runs. Only Sam Wright, who extracted a bit of bounce out of the wicket, troubled the batsmen, taking both wickets to fall for figures of 2-10.

OTHER RESULTS: Rotherfield 2nd XI 225-9 drew with Buxted Park 3rd XI* 133-4; Little Common Ramblers 2nd XI* 124 (49 ov; Andrew Walliss 40; Eddie Lemon 3-12) lost to Bexhill 4th XI 126-6 (41 ov; Chris Osbourne 28*; Andrew Walliss 2-12) by four wickets.