Fishbourne outwit Wittering in the cup

A bumper crop of reports from our local West Sussex League teams features action for Wittering, Fishbourne, Chi Uni, Newtown Villa, Hunston, West Chiltington, Lavant, Hunston CC Res, Boxgrove, Ashington, Cowfold and Chapel.

Wittering 0 Fishbourne 8

Malcolm Simmonds Memorial Cup

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

Fishbourne delivered a commanding display against youthful Wittering United.

Duncan Terry's set-pieces caused problems and two goals in the first half came from his corners. Richard Larty bundled home the first, with Darran Cox flicking in the second.

Jimmy Leggatt continued his fine form with a well-taken hat-trick. The first came from a pass from Hugh Howden, with Leggatt collecting and rounding Ben Turner.

After the break, Leggat notched one from the edge of the box for his second and an own goal made it 5-0.

Leggatt put a penalty wide but made amends by sealing his hat-trick with a well-taken effort.

Howden joined Cox on the scoresheet with a simple finish following good work on the wing by Danny Byles.

Andy Hounsome completed the scoring five minutes from time.

FISHBOURNE: Rochester, Green (Rapley), Terry (Cairns), Jefkins, Larty, Hayes, Byles, Leggatt, Hounsome, Cox, Howden.

Chichester Uni 2 Newtown Villa 1

Malcolm Simmonds Memorial Cup

Newtown were missing vital players and despite creating chances, they came away with nothing.

The opening goal came on 60 minutes when a Uni forward was played in to smash the ball past Pye.

Newtown were unlucky when chances fell to Woolston and Saigemen.

Uni's second was fortuitous as the referee accidentally blocked Mark Cooper who was about to intercept. The ball fell to a Uni midfielder who unleashed a drive into the top left corner.

Newtown rallied again and were rewarded on 75 minutes when Dave Speller's cross fell for James Day to poke the ball in from close range.

Hunston 2 West Chilt'tn 3

Malcom Simmonds Memorial Cup

Hunston were made to pay for defensive lapses.

The visitors took the lead midway through the first half.

Chiltington's keeper launched the ball forward and while the Hunston defence watched, a forward raced through and finished neatly.

Within five minutes it was 2-0 as a long throw wasn't dealt with, allowing a striker to head home unopposed.

Hunston woke up at the start of the second half and Ross Fraser tapped home after man-of-the-match Shaun Jenkins teed him up, but Chiltington added a third which ended the contest.

Hunston managed a second, Jenkins finishing after good work from Craig Bailey.

HUNSTON: Vickery, Jefkins, D Bailey, Forbes, Craddock, Walker, Thompson, Fraser, S Bailey, Jenkins, Booker, Smith, C Bailey.

Lavant 1 Watersfield 5

Division one

Lavant, without eight regulars, started slowly.

Watersfield were strong and Matt Hine brought down Ashley Clark in the box for Carl Sutton to put the visitors ahead from the spot.

Jo Perry put Danny Baker through for the striker to score a stunning equaliser on 27 minutes.

In the second half, Shawn Gooding lost concentration and let Tom Crimp in for a soft goal on 49 minutes.

Lavant conceded a third a minute later when Sutton had only the keeper to beat.

When keeper Bowles parried Crimp's shot, Sutton pounced on the rebound for his hat-trick.

Lavant attacked but Sutton caught them once more three minutes from time.

LAVANT: Bowles, Coe, Gooding, Hine, Hall, Perry, Evans, Parker, Neville, Sheppard, Baker.Subs: Hayward, Payne, Thomas.

The Sportsman 2 Hunston CC Res 8

Chichester Charity Cup

Hunston started strongly when an interchange between strikers Ben Patterson and Ian Newnham saw Newnham finish neatly.

Newnham added a second with a thunderous half-volley, and when a marauding run by Jon Brewster was ended abruptly inside the area, Phil Steer slotted in the penalty.

Two more for Hunston before the break, from Patterson and Newnham, completing a hat-trick, saw Hunston in total control.

They eased off a little in the second half, but Newnham added his fourth and from a corner, Lee Paffey slotted past the helpless keeper.

Sportsman were rewarded when Hunston keeper Robert Chiverton brought down a striker. Converting the penalty, Sportsman rallied and scored a second after slack defending from Hunston.

But after beating a couple of defenders, Phil Green scored after his initial shot was saved.

Boxgrove 5 Ashington 1

Div 3 Charity Cup

Boxgrove started brightly with Danny Raven firing just over.

Although Ashington showed endeavour, Boxgrove got the breakthrough they deserved with Steve Wells converting a long throw.

Ashington hit the bar with a header at the start of the second half before Boxgrove extended their lead. Striker James Sexton latched on to a ball from the excellent James Westbrook and slotted home.

Three minutes later, Ashington's No10 finished from close in. But on 65 minutes, Boxgrove restored their two-goal lead, Will Sparrow swinging in a corner which Chris Tomsett met.

Paul Maysey made it 4-1 with a looping header Will Sparrow converted a near-post header.

Man of the match was Boxgrove's Danny Raven with an untiring shift in central midfield.

Boxgrove: Foster, Westbrook, Bolland, Dwyer, Collins, Wells, Raven, Maysey, Sparrow, Tomsett, Sexton. Subs: Norton, Cobden.

Cowfold 4 Chapel (aet) 2

Div 5 Charity Cup

A brave but depleted Chapel succumbed after 120 minutes.

Cowfold scored first when a shot rebounded off the keeper's chest.

Chapel equalised when Bayliss pounced on a poor clearance by the keeper to drill the ball back over his head.

The first half ended with Chapel losing discipline. After a team talk and reshuffle, Chapel dominated the rest of the game.

Chapel had chances galore to win it, but extra-time it was.

Tom Kaighin fired Chapel ahead but Cowfold pressed hard and two scrappy goals turned it. Cowfold scored a fourth for a flattering scoreline.

CHAPEL: Pannell, B Kaighin, Lucking, Smith, Fagg, Downing, N Warren,

J Warren, Till, T Kaighin, L Bayliss. Subs: Brown, Dabbs.