Agony for Selsey - but joy for Chichester

Selsey were agonisingly close to their first point – and Chichester City came from behind for a home win.

Selsey, in red and white, in action at Lancing   Picture by Derek Martin
Selsey, in red and white, in action at Lancing Picture by Derek Martin

Lancing 3 Selsey 3

Sussex League division one

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

SELSEY came as close as they have before to ending their search for their season’s first win.

Lancing described this as their worst performance of the season – but the Blues wouldn’t have minded that one bit had they held on for the win, instead being made to settle for a point by an injury-time equaliser.

As it was, this was the first time Selsey had taken a point in an away game in 17 matches.

Lancing made a good start to the contest and went a goal in front on 15 minutes when a Dan Turner cross found Alex Fair, who fired home.

Selsey’s response was almost immediate, though, as Mark Thompson netted after George Fenton failed to clear his lines.

The visitors took the lead in bizarre fashion on 23 minutes when Fenton chested a cross into his own net.

Lancing managed to level five minutes before half-time when a Naim Rouane crossfield ball found Tyler Goatcher, who fired a shot into the bottom corner of the net.

The visitors took the lead for a second time on 67 minutes through James Parsons’ strike.

Selsey denied a first win on the road since November 2013, though, as Rouane’s 20-yard strike found its way through a number of bodies before nestling in the bottom corner.

Selsey visit Hassocks on Saturday.


Chichester 2 Crawley Down Gatwick 1

Sussex League division one

TWO goals from Dan Hegarty gave Chichester victory over Crawley Down Gatwick for the third time this season at a windswept Oaklands Park.

The visitors put in an improved performance compared to their displays in the recent two encounters between the sides and deservedly held a 1-0 lead at the break thanks to Jeffrey Mahadoo’s 26th-minute goal which was the first really threatening attack of the match.

However, from the start of the second half, Chichester had the weather conditions in their favour and quickly set about bombarding the Anvils’ goal.

Hegarty levelled in the 50th minute with a great looping header from some distance out and then rifled home what turned out to be the winning goal on 76 minutes.

Having spent most of the second-half defending frantically, Crawley Down pushed forward themselves for the closing stages in search of an equaliser – but despite some nervy moments City held on for the win.

Chichester visit Shoreham in the league on Saturday then host Loxwood in the fourth round of the Sussex Senior Cup next Tuesday.

CITY: Ender, Williams, Bingham, Pearce, Boulton, Hegarty, Hartley, Case, Bush, Frangou, Smith. Subs: Gromett, Boniface.