'˜Battling performance' brings Horsham their first point in a month

Horsham v Guernsey - Goalkeeper Josh Pelling. 07-01-17. Steve Robards  Pic SR1637905 SUS-170701-172555001Horsham v Guernsey - Goalkeeper Josh Pelling. 07-01-17. Steve Robards  Pic SR1637905 SUS-170701-172555001
Horsham v Guernsey - Goalkeeper Josh Pelling. 07-01-17. Steve Robards Pic SR1637905 SUS-170701-172555001
Horsham secured their first point for a month as they put in a battling performance to draw 1-1 at Faversham Town on Tuesday night.

The Hornets led after just two minutes in Kent as Liam Wright curled home a free-kick, but they were pegged back before half-time as Josh Stanford levelled things up.

The Salters Lane side had the better chances after the break, but Horsham held out to end a poor run of four straight defeats.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Hornets boss Dominic Di Paola was satisfied that his side ground out a point against an in-form side, despite still not being at their best.

He said: “It was a battling performance. We did all right, although did not play brilliantly. For the first half hour I thought we were the better team and created the better chances, but they then had the other hour.

“It was a long night and the boys did pretty well to stick to the task. We are not vintage at the moment or playing brilliantly, but we ground out a point.

“It’s another point towards the target at the end of the season. I said to the boys afterwards, it’s a shame we have not ground out more points like that over the season. We did well and battled hard, but I do not think anyone really enjoyed it.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“They were on a good run and had lost one of their past eight and not lost at home since November, so are in good form there.”

The host led within seconds as Alfie Rogers was brought down just outside the box and from the free kick, Wright opened his Horsham account by beating William Godman.

Rogers failed to connect with Ashley-Paul Robinson’s cross and the young forward was then beaten to a through ball by Godman. A neat one-two between Wright and Rogers saw the latter scuff his shot as he continued his all-action start.

Faversham went close just before the half-hour mark when a free kick into the box was saved by Josh Pelling from close range. They then had another effort cleared off the line, before in injury-time, Stanford finished a quickly-taken free kick past Pelling.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The hosts started the second period the stronger and a long-range effort pushed away by Pelling. A Scott Kirkwood free kick was then half cleared and Tom Lawley’s follow-up was blocked and cleared. Pelling palmed away a Town set-piece and then made another smart stop from a corner to keep out the hosts.

At the other end, Rogers had a great chance, but put his through ball over the bar.

Di Paola added: “Alfie Rogers was excellent. At the age of just 17, he worked really hard and played really well.

“I think he will be a really good player and feel for him a bit as he has come in and not seen us win yet. James Thurgar came on as well and did a good job off the bench.”

Horsham: Pelling, Duncan, Jones, Clark, Metcalf, Lawley, Harris, Kirkwood, Wright, Rogers, Robinson. Subs: Hunt, Thugar, Gaskin, Smith.

Related topics: