Graham Potter's stern message to Neal Maupay after Wolves red card

Albion head coach Graham Potter was disappointed Neal Maupay lost his discipline and received a 97th minute red card for foul and abusive language toward referee Jonathon Moss

Neal Mauapy lost his discipline at the final whistle after defeat at Wolves
Neal Mauapy lost his discipline at the final whistle after defeat at Wolves

Maupay was fuming at the final whistle after the 2-1 loss and was sent off following his confrontation with the match official.

It was Brighton's second red of the day as Lewis Dunk had earlier been dismissed for a cynical foul on Wolves' striker Fábio Silva.

It's not the first time Maupay has let his fiery temper get the better of him. Earlier this season he was left out of the matchday squad at Tottenham following a dressing room altercation after a 1-1 draw against West Brom.

"Neal received a red card for speaking to the referee after the game," said Potter. "He is frustrated. I don't know what has been said and he needs to handle that better.

"It is disappointing (that he couldn't control his temper). That is the challenge. We have to be able to deal with the disappointment of defeat when we have to. We lose him and that's not positive for us."

Skipper Dunk, who had earlier put Albion ahead but Wolves won it with goals in the last 14 minutes from substitute Adama Traore and Morgan Gibbs-White.

“It’s a missed opportunity,” said Potter. “We played well in the first half and deserved our lead but then at the start of the second half we allowed Wolves to get into the game.

“We made some poor decisions and suffered for that in terms of a red card, and it left us with a long time to play with ten men.

“The boys defended quite well and gave everything but it was too much for us in the end. They had a lot of pressure but not too many chances, but then Traore came on and stretched the game for Wolves.”

Although Albion have a ten-point cushion above the bottom three their Premier League status for next season is still not secure, and both Dunk and Maupay will be suspended for next Saturday’s Amex clash against West Ham United.

“Until we are mathematically safe then we have to keep fighting for points and we have said that all along,” added Potter. “I was walking off at the end so I didn’t see what happened but if Neal has been sent off then it’s something he needs to learn from.”

Victory would have sealed Premier League survival for the Seagulls, although it will be confirmed on Monday if Burnley beat Fulham.

Brighton took the lead with their first attack after 13 minutes. Patient play from the Seagulls ended when Ki-Jana Hoever cleared behind but, from Pascal Gross’ corner, Dunk outjumped a limp defence to power a downward header in from six yards.

Brighton’s swift attacks left the hosts floundering, with Danny Welbeck’s movement giving Max Kilman and Conor Coady countless problems, and it was from his knockdown which saw Maupay flash a drive over.

Potter’s side had more desire, were slicker and had the confidence of a side who knew survival was in their grasp – before it slipped away in the second half.

Wolves were handed a lifeline when Dunk was dismissed eight minutes into the second half.

Fabio Silva had previously been anonymous but smart movement allowed him to dart onto Vitinha’s pass and ahead of Dunk, who pulled the striker down as he went clean through.

Referee Moss was left with little option but to send the Seagulls skipper off and the momentum shifted to Wolves.

Traore was introduced but it took 15 minutes with their numerical advantage for the hosts to force Sanchez into a save, when he denied Joao Moutinho’s volley from the edge of the box.

Wolves had forced Brighton back though and finally made their pressure count when Traore levelled 14 minutes from time.

Neat build-up involving Vitinha and Silva saw the striker quickly swap passes with Traore and the winger beat Sanchez from 16 yards.

Gibbs-White then missed a glorious chance with five minutes left when Traore charged down Sanchez’s clearance and squared for the midfielder who could only blast over.

But he atoned in the final minute when he found the top corner after Alexis Mac Allister blocked his initial shot.