Study reveals Brighton star and Jack Grealish nemesis is the Premier League's most economical signing
Joel Veltman arrived at Brighton and Hove Albion last summer with little fuss in £900,000 deal from Ajax.
The Dutch international and Champions League semi-finalist quickly established himself as key man in Graham Potter’s defence and his versatility allowed him to cover a number of positions including right wing back in the absence of the injured Tariq Lamptey.
Veltman, 29, also played all across the backline and his consistent display soon made his a favourite with the fans.
His display against Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish was a particular highlight of his campaign, as he marked the tricky England international out of the match during the 0-0 stalemate.
“I’m very annoying to play against,” said Veltman after the match.
Many Albion fans already suspected he was bargain of the season and a study conducted by BettingOdds.comThey analysed the most and least successful arrivals who debuted (or indeed returned or switched shirt colours) in the Premier League from the start of the 2020/21 campaign.
Taking into account the Veltman’s reported salary of £2m and the 29 points the Seagulls have earned when Veltman has been in the side, he has cost Brighton a 2020/21 Premier League new arrival low of just £99,588 per point.
Second was Vladimir Coufal who joined West Ham from Slavia Prague for £5m. His Salary is said to be £1.6m and he earned 61 points for his side at a cost per point of: £108,446.
Leeds keeper Illan Meslier was third. He joined from Lorient for £5m and earns a reported £858,000. Points earned for his side: 53, at a cost per point of: £110,842.
The fourth best value was Fernando Marcal. He arrived from Lyon to Wolverhampton Wanderers for £1.72m. His salary is £1.82m and points earned for his side was 20. Cost per point: £176,823.
5. Tosin Adarabioyo (Manchester City to Fulham) Transfer Cost: £2m Salary: £3.12m Points Earned For Side: 28 Cost per Point: £219,871
6. Antonee Robinson (Wigan Athletic to Fulham) Transfer Cost: £2m Salary: £3.12m Points Earned For Side: 23 Cost per Point: £222,997
7. Harrison Reed (Southampton to Fulham) Transfer Cost: £6m Salary: £624,000 Points Earned For Side: 26 Cost per Point: £254,378
8. Tomas Soucek (Slavia Prague to West Ham United) Transfer Cost: £15m Salary: £3.5m Points Earned For Side: 65 Cost per Point: £284,703
9. Jayden Bogle (Derby County to Sheffield United) Transfer Cost: £3m Salary: £858,000 Points Earned For Side: 13 Cost per Point: £297,685
10. Kyle Walker-Peters (Southampton to Tottenham Hotspur) Transfer Cost: £12m Salary: £1.2m Points Earned For Side: 42 Cost per Point: £314,286
Costliest Transfers Per Point Gained In the 2020/21 Premier League Season
1. Konstantinos Tsimikas (Olympiacos to Liverpool) Transfer Cost: £11.75m Salary: £3.12m Points Earned For Side: 3 Cost per Point: £4.957m
2. Nathan Ake (AFC Bournemouth to Manchester City) Transfer Cost: £40m Salary: £4.8m Points Earned For Side: 21 Cost per Point: £2.133m
3. Kai Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen to Chelsea) Transfer Cost: £72m Salary: £7.28m Points Earned For Side: 38 Cost per Point: £2.086m
4. Karlan Grant (Huddersfield to West Bromwich Albion) Transfer Cost: £15m Salary: £1.56m Points Earned For Side: 9 Cost per Point: £1.834m
5. Ki-Jana Hoever (Liverpool to Wolverhampton Wanderers) Transfer Cost: £13.5m Salary: £2.1m Points Earned For Side: 9 Cost per Point: £1.733m
6. Grady Diangana (West Ham United to West Bromwich Albion) Transfer Cost: £12m Salary: £1.06m Points Earned For Side: 8 Cost per Point: £1.632m
7. Thomas Partey (Atletico Madrid to Arsenal) Transfer Cost: £45m Salary: £13m Points Earned For Side: 38 Cost per Point: £1.526m
8. Rhian Brewster (Liverpool to Sheffield United) Transfer Cost: £23.5m Salary: £1.43m Points Earned For Side: 17 Cost per Point: £1.466m
9. Diogo Jota (Wolverhampton Wanderers to Liverpool) Transfer Cost: £41m Salary: £4.7m Points Earned For Side: 38 Cost per Point: £1.202m
10. Ben Chilwell (Leicester City to Chelsea) Transfer Cost: £45.18m Salary: £9.88m Points Earned For Side: 46 Cost per Point: £1.197m