Chichester and Barnham can't be separated

A draw and a defeat for Barnham, a draw for Chichester and wins for Bosham - that was the news from the latest round of under-18 matches.

Chichester 1 Barnham Youth 1

It was always going to be a nail-biter of a county league match between last year’s champions and newcomers Barnham.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

The first half saw both sides evenly matched with Chichester shading it in attempts on goal. But the Barnham defence of Jordan Roberts, Aydan Richards, Ben Perkins and Ryan Davidson made some crunching tackles.

There was tangible disappointment among the visitors when in the 45th minute, a fine run on goal saw Chichester take the lead.

The second half saw Barnham emerge with real purpose and there were jubilant scenes when Johnny James sent a rasping shot into the far corner of the home side’s net.

A foul in the Barnham box led to Barnham keeper Joe Dubben pulling off an outstanding penalty save.

Barnham fought a rearguard action with Markie Gilbert and Marcus Taylor attempting to break down the wings when the chance came. A draw was a fair result.

BARNHAM: Dubben, Richards, Davidson, Roberts, Perkins, Gilbert, Harrison, Dearden, Menzies, James, Taylor. Subs: Fortin, Bennett.

Forest 2 Barnham Youth 1

Barnham started slowly and never really came alive, allowing Forest more of the ball than they should have done.

Having played in midweek Barnham seemed tired and Forest went on the offensive, only to be frustrated by the Barnham defence.

Barnham captain Stevie Menzies broke the deadlock with a wonder-strike from 20 yards, giving the Forest keeper no chance.

In the second half, Forest were awarded a penalty which was converted. Barnham woke up, but against the run of play Barnham were caught on the break and Forest had a simple tap-in for the winner.

BARNHAM: Dubben, Perkins, Davidson, Roberts, Gilbert, Taylor, Temple, Menzies, Bennett, Dearden, James. Sub: Richards.

Worthing Town Youth 1 Bosham Youth 6

Bosham started brightly and created a number of chances in the first half. Billy Brown and James Johnson hit the post with great strikes.

The breakthrouh came midway through the half when Charlie Hawes latched on to a through ball down the middle to slot past the keeper.

Phil Merrick added a second after a one-two with C Hawes and the best goal of the game was the third from Tim Callen with a shot from outside the box.

Twelve minutes into the second half, Louis Buntin scored Bosham’s fourth with a neat tap-in after a good move down the right.

The fifth came when a great cross from James Johnson was finished by Merrick.

Worthing scored a deserved consolation but Bosham rounded off a very good performance when Merrick slipped Callum Fewell in to slot home.

Brown was named man of the match.

BOSHAM: Will Burch, Finn Rehill, Aaron Domblides, Stu Andrews, Callum Fewell, Billy Brown, Tim Callen, James Johnson, Phil Merrick, Charlie Hawes, Louis Buntin, Adil, Justin d’Agar.

Arundel 0 Pagham 3

It wasn’t long before Pagham had Arundel under pressure as the full-backs looked to get forward at every opportunity.

Andy Chick and Luke Rose were causing all sorts of problems on the flanks looking to set up Samid Gashi.

The home defence had to thank their keeper for keeping them in the game.

The breakthrough came when a high corner was met by Gashi, who didn’t take long to score his second.

Rose was a thorn in the home side with his darting runs and he scored the third just before half-time.

In the second half Pagham’s defence stood firm with Mather and Hayes solid to clinch a win which puts them top of their division.