Common clinch first league win

Action from Little Common's 3-2 victory at home to Steyning Town yesterday. Picture courtesy Bob Matthews
Action from Little Common's 3-2 victory at home to Steyning Town yesterday. Picture courtesy Bob Matthews

Little Common’s footballers twice came from behind to clinch their first league win of the season yesterday (Saturday).

Goals from Martin Denny, Lewis Hole and Conner Burton’s first for the club gave Common a 3-2 victory at home to previously unbeaten Steyning Town in Macron Store Sussex County Football League Division Two.

Common player-manager Russell Eldridge made one change to his starting line-up with Charlie Bachellier coming in to replace the unavailable Dave Ammoun, while new assistant manager Glyn White took his place in the dugout for the first time.

Both teams demonstrated their attacking intent in a lively opening and it was the visitors who nearly opened the scoring when a Town forward latched onto a throughball only to lift his finish over Matt Cruttwell and the Common crossbar.

At the other end, Martin Denny saw a ferocious drive just clear the crossbar and Jared Lusted curled an effort wide. Town opened the scoring when an attack down the right saw the ball pulled back to Milner, who made no mistake from close range.

Common continued to press forward in search of an equaliser and Hole found an Eldridge pass just beyond his reach before Paul Feakins appeared to be taken out on the edge of the area only to see play waved on by the referee.

The equaliser did arrive when Denny was put through on goal and he made no mistake by slotting past the advancing goalkeeper in the 25th minute.

Cruttwell was twice on hand to prevent Town retaking the lead, while Zack McEniry saw his goalbound header blocked at the other end.

McEniry’s foul led to Town’s second goal when the resultant free kick saw a Town defender rise unmarked to head into the roof of the net.

Common’s response was immediate and within a minute they were level. Lusted’s delivery into the box fell at the feet of Hole to prod home. Hole almost gave Common a half time lead, but his goalbound shot was diverted round the post by the goalkeeper’s feet.

Common dominated the second period, spending long spells in the Town half with Cruttwell rarely called into action. For all of Common’s possession, chances were at a premium, although Hole came the closest to giving Common the lead when his header from Feakins’ cross hit the foot of the post.

Eldridge saw a long range effort drift wide and Lusted’s low drive fizzed across the box. It was Lusted who set up the winner when his jinking run into the area saw his initial shot saved before the ball fell to substitute Burton to slot into the net.

Common saw out the remaining 10 minutes without too many scares to secure a well-deserved victory.

Common: Cruttwell, Bachellier, Mote, Eldridge, McEniry, Sherwood, Lusted (Smith), Brown, Hole, Denny, Feakins (Burton).