Disaster for Bognor: EIGHT out of 18 in the squad are injured

Bognor have been plunged into an injury crisis before the season has even begun – with eight players out of 18 crocked.

Brad Lethbridge - pictured in action in a pre-season friendly at East Preston - is one of eight Bognor players to have picked up pre-season injuries / Picture: Tommy McMillan
Brad Lethbridge - pictured in action in a pre-season friendly at East Preston - is one of eight Bognor players to have picked up pre-season injuries / Picture: Tommy McMillan

Setbacks suffered by a number of key players are threatening to derail the Rocks’ pre-season programme and hit their hopes of making a solid start to the new Isthmian premier campaign.

Boss Jack Pearce said he could not believe how many injuries had already hit the squad – and he was desperately hoping it would not turn into another season of injury woe like the past three campaigns.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

Utility man James Crane has a knee injury, left-sided key man Ashton Leigh is out for three weeks with a hamstring problem and Jason Parish is sidelined for about the same period, also with a hamstring issue.

Trialist Siph Mdlalose has ruptured his Achilles, midfielder Jake Flannigan has picked up a hamstring problems and forward rad Lethbridge has a knee injury.

Those six will all miss tomorrow’s (Friday Sep 4) trip to Chichester – where skipper Harvey Whyte and defender Keaton Wood may have to play despite minor hip

and hamstring niggles.

It’s persuaded the Rocks to keep on looking for new recruits.

Pearce said: “In an 18-man squad we have eight reporting injured. It’s a disaster and we have to hope things improve by the time we start our league season at Bishop’s Stortford on September 19.”