Eastbourne Borough put in another fighting performance to claim 11th draw of the season

Borough players celebrate with goalscorer Greg Luer. Picture by Jon RigbyBorough players celebrate with goalscorer Greg Luer. Picture by Jon Rigby
Borough players celebrate with goalscorer Greg Luer. Picture by Jon Rigby
Another fighting performance earned Eastbourne Borough a share of the points for the 11th time this season.

It was Borough’s fourth draw in January against a Concord side who were among the league’s pace-makers before suffering recent back-to-back defeats.

Once again decimated by injuries, Danny Bloor’s men twice came from behind and the manager was afterwards quick to pay tribute to the spirit of his players who refused to lie down.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"When you have nine players unavailable and you are playing one of the best sides in the league, you have to be proud that we were able to come out with a 2-2 draw” he said afterwards. “And I know they will continue to give 110 per cent all the time I am the manager of this football club."

With both Kiran Khinda-John and Charlie Walker both carrying injuries, Borough found themselves behind after just eight minutes when Danny Green found David Olufemi who raced in from the right to steer a fine angled drive into the far corner of the net.

Both teams were giving everything from the word go and both Billy Roast (Concord) and Khinda-John were shown yellow cards for reckless challenges within the opening 20 minutes.

Borough, however, were soon back on terms and what a delightful goal it was in the 22nd minute. Greg Luer gained possession on the right, took the ball inside defender Michael O’Donoghue and beat keeper Chris Haigh with a perfectly-placed drive,

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Concord piled on the pressure and only a magnificent last-gasp challenge from Khinda-John prevented them from regaining the lead.

Concord came out in the second half firing on all cylinders and it was no real surprise when they went ahead for the second time up in the 57th minute. Hesitancy in midfield cost Borough possession and resulted in Aron Pollock pulling the ball back from the right to leave Decarrey Sheriff with a tap-in from six yards.

Borough, however, refused to lie down and in the 65th minute drew level when Ade Gbolahan, who had been on the field just six minutes, slotted in from close range after Charlie Walker had seized on a Kane Wills free-kick. The striker’s shot was pushed out by Haigh and Gbolahan celebrated his debut by stabbing home.

Gbolahan had replaced Khinda-John who had performed quite superbly in the heart of the Borough defence. Kynda-John has had serious injury problems this season and 90 minutes was possibly felt to be too much in his comeback programme.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The visitors piled on the pressure in a late bid to secure the points with a curler from Nathan Carlisle rebounding off the bar, but Borough remained resilient and were grateful for some woeful finishing by their opponents.

The Sports remain unbeaten in 2020 but are still not attracting the crowds they deserve. Once again fewer than 500 spectators went through the Priory Lane turnstiles which is hard to understand in a town the size of Eastbourne.

Borough: Ravizzoli, Adebayo-Rowling, Wills, Khinda-John (Gbolahan 55), James, Luer, Skinner (Gharbaoui (80), Walker, Ferry, Hanson, Gayle. Unused subs: Blackmore, Gravata. Chalmer-Stevens.

Referee: Jason Richardson. Att: 489.

MoM: Kiran-Khinda-John - Despite still carrying an injury, performed superbly in the heart of the Borough defence for the 55 minutes he was on the field.