FA Vase glory run continues for Chichester City

Chi City celebrate a Vase goal in an earlier round / Picture by Kate ShemiltChi City celebrate a Vase goal in an earlier round / Picture by Kate Shemilt
Chi City celebrate a Vase goal in an earlier round / Picture by Kate Shemilt

This article contains affiliate links. We may earn a small commission on items purchased through this article, but that does not affect our editorial judgement.

Chichester City's FA Vase adventure goes on.

They won 3-1 in extra-time when they hosted Canterbury City in a second-round tie on Wednesday night, having been postponed on Saturday because of a waterlogged pitch.

The game started slowly and Canterbury looked to kill the tempo, which was a well-worked game plan and lasted for the majority of the first half.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Canterbury were forced in to two early substitutions by injuries and the game failed to live up to expectations of an exciting cup game.

Neither team really created any chances in the first half though in the 40th minute Scott Jones saw a header go past the post after a good build-up by Chichester.

After half time the game started to open up as both teams looked to press higher and get forward more.

Canterbury took the lead from a corner on the 55th minute. Chichester responded well and started to create more opportunities and were camped in the Canterbury half for the majority of the second half.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Chichester came close with chances from set-pieces, though failed to test the Canterbury keeper with clear-cut opportunities.

City captain Jack Lee was replaced after a final warning from the referee and the young and talented Jamie Horncastle came on to start controlling the game for Chichester.

Horncastle allowed the Chichester middle two Max Thoms and Dan Heggerty to push on with Heggerty then scoring with a low 20-yard strike, taking it to extra time.

Chichester started the extra 30 minutes much better and used both Jones and Jimmy Wild well in the final third.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Jones converted a cross to give Chichester a 2-1 lead, leaving Canterbury having to chase the game and not sit so deep in their own half.

Canterbury were reduced to ten men after a poor challenge on Horncastle which gave Chichester the advantage.

Now it seemed there was only going to be one winner and Wild made it 3-1 with a trademark left-foot strike into the bottom corner.

There were lovely celebrations at the end and Chichester now visit SCFL rivals Newhaven on Saturday, December 3 in the third round – the last 64 of the competition.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking sports news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be among the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/pages/Sport-Sussex

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

Share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Related topics: