Fabulous Fishbourne take primary schools’ football crown

YOUNG footballers gathered at The Regis School in Bognor for the annual West Sussex West school sport partnership Year 5/6 boys’ football tournament.

Fishbourne's winning team at the WSW primary football tournament
Fishbourne's winning team at the WSW primary football tournament

It featured primary schools from across Bognor and Chichester and was a qualifier for the county finals – and there was a cracking turnout of teams.

Schools in attendance were Fisbourne, Aldingbourne, Bishop Tufnell, Downview, Edward Bryant, Southway, St Richard’s, Bersted Green and St Mary’s.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

The standard of play was excellent with all the teams having a competitive yet friendly attitude.

Playing in two pools of five, teams fought fiercely as they fought to make the semi-finals. There was a dramatic end to both semis, leading to extra time and penalties which saw Aldingbourne and Fishbourne get through.

Fishbourne prevailed 2-1 in extra-time to be crowned area champions and they will represent West Sussex West at the county finals.

James Harris, manager of the Southway team, said: “The SSP always put on fantastic events run by brilliant sports leaders. It’s great for the boys to be able to experience competitive football in a friendly and supportive environment. All the boys have had a great time and are already asking about the next competition.”

Send your youth football reports and team pictures to [email protected]


Worthing United Youth 1 Chichester City Colts 4

Colts visited last season’s A-division champions Worthing United – and emerged with a place in the last four of the Challenge Cup.

City drew first blood with a neat exchange of passes between Craddock and Taylor Parker leading to Parker crossing to the back post, where Dominic Hamblin rose to head home his fourth goal of the season.

Against the run of play, Worthing brought themselves back into it. A long punt upfield was latched on to and touched home by Frankie Ibrahim despite the best efforts of Jack Angell to clear.

Parker had another effort cleared off the line and Simmons’ header hit the top of the crossbar.

With a few tactical changes, Colts began the second half on the attack. They re-establishing the lead when Tom Main was upended just inside the United half.

Simmons’ free-kick was flicked by Toby Evans into the path of Parker, who dispatched it past the United Keeper. Two soon became three when Toby Watkins broke down the right before setting up Parker, who finished with a thunderous effort.

The Colts back five of Hamblin, Simmons, Rochester, Jones and Williams held firm.

In the last five minutes, Colts broke down a Worthing attack and Evans played a great pass to full-back Jack Jones, who struck a first-time effort from 30 yards out which found the bottom corner and was later named MoM.

In tyhe semi-finals, Colts will meet Worthing Minors.

CHI CITY COLTS: S Williams, J Jones, J Angell, T Rochester, C Simmons, D Hamblin, L Craddock, T Evans, J Nicol, W Parker, T Parker, T Main, T Watkins.


Rustington Otters 1 Chichester City Colts White 8

In their third meeting of the season, Chichester Colts beat Rustington Otters in the Challenge Cup.

Chichester started brightly and scored after nine minutes though Jawad Echchkaf. Just before half-time, Echchkaf scored his second. Rhys Rawlings was the provider for both.

Rustington got one back before the goal rampage started.

There were another three from Echchkaf, two from Nat White and one from Jake Wells to make the final score 8-1.

Rawlings got five assists and Jake O’Brennan was a tank at the centre of defence.

CHICHESTER: Briant, Wells, O’Brennan, Moore, Stone, White, Rawlings, Johnson, Echchkaf, Scott.

AFC Worthing Youth Atoms 2 Chichester Colts 2

Chichester got off to a good start with an early goal from Max Hopp powered past the Worthing goalkeeper. The away side were unable to turn their dominance into goals.

Worthing kept the pressure on and equalised and then took the lead just before half-time.

Chichester battled back in the second half with many near misses from Josh McCulloch, Hopp and Harry Angell.

At the other end, Theo Perrin was able to make some impressive saves and Teddy Phillippo made some decisive tackles in midfield to keep the Colts in the game.

Angell fired in a well-deserved equaliser towards the end.


Chichester City Colts won the Cuckmere Cup with a 3-0 final victory at home to Midhurst. The team played well and won thanks to goals from Charlie Pemberton, Jack Newton and Arron Wakefield.

They had a new shirt sponsor for the final, Owen Kenny solicitors.