Peacehaven hammered one of the best sides in the Sussex county league 4-0 in the John O’Hara League Cup on Tuesday night, despite having to make another midweek away trip.

The Tye comfortably beat a high-flying Rye United in a game where home tempers rose with the visiting scoreline.

Traffic incidents along the way meant that several players couldn’t get to the ground with much more than minutes to spare but Peacehaven came out of the traps well. Indeed, they dominated most of the game. An early goal from recent signing Brian McBride came within the first 10 minutes. A ball over the top from Craig Hall found McBride who took the ball down well. An excellent first touch was followed up by a weighted chip over the keeper to given Haven an early lead.

The second goal came when Peacehaven broke down the right and a through ball to Wes Tate allowed him to cut inside past the defender and curl the left footed just inside the post.

The second half started as the first had left off, with some gret interplay from the visitors. Matt Hill played Wes Millis into space and he accelerated to the byline. A strong ball across the box found Tate on the six yard line and he put the ball in the far corner of the goal.

The game now out of sight, Rye were now in unknown territory and tempers were fraying.

As a high ball dropped, Rye’s Shaun Loft swung his elbow straight into Joe Dryer’s face right in front of the referee. The referee instantly showed Loft the red card and Rye’s troubles were mounting. Fortunately Joe was all right. With Haven enjoying their domination of the game McBride finished the scoring. Dryer again headed for the byline before chipping the ball across to McBride who drove his shot into the bank of the net.

This was very impressive victory as Tye, bolstered by a dominating McBride, could do no wrong across the pitch and continue their successful run.

With the possibility of two promotion places from the County League this season every point will count.

Tomorrow (Saturday) Arundel visit Peacehaven in the league, however the midweek cup game with Horsham YMCA has now been cancelled with both teams having call ups to the Sussex representative team.