Football: Lions hit back at Lancing

Pagham took a point at Lancing by coming from 2-1 down to snatch an equaliser in their Sussex League division-one clash.

Pagham management team Gary Block and Dave Berkowitz   Picture by Roger Smith
Pagham management team Gary Block and Dave Berkowitz Picture by Roger Smith

The Lions were under pressure for long periods of play, but James Binfield played a blinder in goal to keep the visitors in the game.

A deflection from a Liam O’Connor shot after six minutes gave the Lions the lead. For a while Lancing were pegged back, with Darren Ford in the Lancers’ goal repelling shot after shot.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

The pressure was then put on the Lions as defensive slips let the home side have sight of goal. This told on 23 minutes when Tyler Goatcher controlled a ball from the left and struck past Binfield.

Around the half-hour mark, a series of superb saves from Binfield saw off the Lancing threat. But he could do nothing about Goatcher’s second as the Lancing striker ran into space on the right, shooting home.

But for some inaccurate finishing, the score may have been more than 2-1 at half-time.

Gary Block made two changes at the break, Johan Van Driel replacing Luca-Coleman Carr and Lewis Hamilton coming on for O’Connor.

Three minutes into the second half, the Lions secured a superb equaliser. Scott Murfin’s long-range missile flew past Ford to restore some pride for the Lions.

Van Driel almost made it 3-2 a few minutes later, Ford parrying the shot for a corner. Hamilton struck a chance just wide, while at the other end Mike Williamson missed the target for Lancing.

The Lions were showing more teeth, forcing corners and looking the equal of their hosts.

Lancing had the ball in the net again on 70 minutes, but an offside decision kept the scores equal.

Lee Bradshaw was invaluable at the back for Pagham, heading away more than once to keep the Lancers at bay. Ruben French and Van Driel were booked and the Lions were looking for the winner.

As the seconds ticked down, Lancing’s Jake Mills’ free-kick was headed away to turn Pagham defence into attack. The assault on Lancing’s goal was just too late as the final whistle went.

PAGHAM: Binfield, A Brown, French, Bradshaw, Davidson, N Murfin, Morey, O’Connor (Van Driel 45), R Brown, S Murfin, Coleman-Carr (L Hamilton 45). Subs not used: Irish, Richer.


Pagham Res 6 Eastbourne Utd Res 1

Pagham gained revenge an their earlier defeat against a physical Eastbourne side to move second in the Reserve Section Premier.

Paghams opener came when Dowsett’s corner fell to Luke Rose on the edge of the box and he lobbed their keeper. Dowsett scored number two from a free-kick after Turney was brought down. Eastbourne pulled one back on the 43 minute with a free kick.

The second half was minutes old when Rose found space to hit Pagham’s third. His hat-tick came on 64 minutes after Turney’s through-ball.

Three minutes later Pagham hit their fifth when Dowsett got his second. Man of the match Turney got his just reward with a well-taken sixth.