Fraser secures point for Peacehaven in crazy six goal thriller

A sweet strike from Tommy Fraser secured a point for Peacehaven
A sweet strike from Tommy Fraser secured a point for Peacehaven

There was certainly no shortage of entertainment at Piddinghoe Ave on Saturday, as Peacehaven recovered from a two goal deficit to draw three all with Witham.

An equalising strike from new signing Tommy Fraser, fired into the top corner, followed probably the maddest five minutes ever seen at the Sports Park.

After their 1-0 mid-week League Cup win against Lewes, Haven started the match brightly without capitalising on their possession.

Instead, against the run of play and with their first attack, on 11 minutes Witham shocked the home crowd with the opening goal.

A short pass intended for James Fraser, was intercepted. Witham moved the ball forward quickly through Daniel Emmanuel, catching out the defence. His cross into the box was met by a fierce volley from James Robinson.

On the half hour, the game twisted and turned. A strong ball forward to Joe Gatting, was laid off perfectly into the path of the oncoming Fraser. His first time shot was snatched out of the air superbly by the visiting keeper.

Immediately, Witham went up the other end and doubled their lead as Robinson made the Haven defence look static. Evading two defenders in the box, he then curled his shot into the bottom corner past the furious Anthony DiBernado.

Two nil down at half time, manager Shaun Saunders urgently needed a response from his charges to arrest the situation.

Piling on the pressure with three consecutive corners, James Fraser scored for the home side on 51 minutes.

From the kick off though, the Haven defence went to sleep, allowing John Watson to restore Witham’s two goal lead.

Proving that they also couldn’t defend immediately after scoring, Witham saw a free Josh Jones reply from inside the box.

With their tails up now, Peacehaven went looking for the equaliser. Having spent most of the match sitting in the midfield, the goal scorer was an unlikely one.

On 60 minutes, the ball was fed along the edge of the box. Tommy Fraser stepped forward with a shot that arrowed into the top corner beyond the despairing keeper.

With both sides now looking for the winner, the outcome was in balance right until the final whistle.

The result could have been even better for the Magpies, but three late chances went begging, including a glorious one for James Fraser, who shaved the post having beaten the keeper.

Peacehaven are next at home on Saturday 8th November against AFC Hornchurch.

Peacehaven: Di Bernardo, Marzetti, Knee, T. Fraser, A. Jones (Capt), El Abd, Lawley, Cotton, Gatting, J. Fraser, J. Jones.

Subs: Burton, McLaughlin, Metcalf, Pitcher, Brotherton

Goalscorers: James Fraser (51’), Josh Jones (54’), Tommy Fraser (60’)

Referee: Daniel Berry

Attendance: 118