Isthmian League restart: No moves before next government review

Isthmian League bosses have confirmed they will not look again at the logistics of restarting their season before they have heard the latest government announcements on lockdown resrictions later this week.

Bognor and Horsham are among sides awaiting a date for the league's restart / Picture: Lyn Phillips
Bognor and Horsham are among sides awaiting a date for the league's restart / Picture: Lyn Phillips

The league, along with other step three and four non-league divisions in the Southern and Northern Leagues, are currently on hold because of restrictions faced by clubs who are in the country's Covid tiers tow and three.

Hopes for a restart had been lifted last week when the government said fans COULD watch games at clubs in tier three - which for the Isthmian League includes its many Kent clubs.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

But some have been at pains to point out there are other issues in the way too - chiefly a ban on opening bars and clubhouses, which make up significant revenue for many clubs.

Now the three leagues say they will wait and see what the government says in its latest announcements, expected on Wedneday.

A statement from the Isthmian, Southern and Northern leagues said: "The Trident Leagues (the Isthmian, Northern Premier and Southern Football Leagues) welcome the decision to allow some fans into grounds situated in Tier 3 areas.

"However, in light of the decision of all 224 Clubs only last week to vote overwhelmingly in favour of suspending the current season the Leagues have decided to wait to see the implications of the Government’s review of the Tier system in England – due on Wednesday - before making any further announcements."

The Isthmian League has been on hold since November 5 but the FA Trophy, FA Vase and many other leagues at higher and lower levels of the game are all under way again.