Lavant cup win is a Villa chiller

Lavant pulled off a shock in the West Sussex League's Malcolm Simmonds Memorial Cup, while their reserves drew, Petworth lost and their second team won in the latest round of matches.

Newtown V 2 Lavant 5

Malcolm Simmonds Memorial Cup

Premier-division side Newtown were undone by first-division Lavant.

Ryan Seacombe forced a save from Villa keeper Keelan Belcher and Dean Cooper fired over the Lavant bar from eight yards out.

Lavant’s James Brooks had to go to hospital with a broken nose when his diving header was met by a Villa boot.

The break in the deadlock was Matt Lyttle’s eighth-minute goal for the visitors from a set-piece.

Ashley Pugh drew Villa level in the 55th minute but Louis Weller restored the lead within two minutes. Seacombe and Weller put them 4-1 in front.

But the management were dismayed to see their side lose shape as they went for more goals, paying the penalty when Pugh’s cross was swept home by Newtown’s Paul Sibley.

Villa were re-inspired and Lavant ragged. But any Villa hopes were crushed when Seacombe hit Lavant’s fifth in off the bar in the dying seconds.

LAVANT: Sanson; Coe, Purgavie, Wright, Lyttle; Weller, Brooks, Stevens, Price; Seacombe, Bartley. Sub: Grace.

Holbrook 4 Petworth 0

Division one

Petworth were missing three key players, with keeper Ian Fumgall, leading scorer Rob Levett and pacy winger Chris Jones all missing.

And their poor league run continued with a comprehensive defeat away to title contenders Holbrook.

Holbrook dominated the first half and their first came from a mistake by stand-in keeper James Pratt.

He redeemed himself with a series of excellent saves but they went in 2-0 down at half-time.

In the second half, although Jaysi Wells worked hard in midfield his efforts were not enough to prevent Petworth conceding two further goals.

PETWORTH: Pratt, Naldrett, Burrows, R Torode, Carter, Hotston, Jefford, Pafford, Wells, Warren, D Torode. Sub: Harper.

Lavant Res 2 Lodsworth 2

Div two south

This was a must-win game for Lavant after three matches without a point.

They took the game to Lodsworth and were rewarded when Ross Lines picked up the ball 40 yards out, shaking off a defender and producing a low shot which the keeper parried into the path of Mark Fegus, who knocked it home.

Lodsworth levelled with their first shot at goal when a striker curled a delightful shot low into the corner.

Lodsworth started the second half with fire in their belly but keeper Craig Secombe was up to the task.

At the other end Davey Knight worked his way to the edge of the box to unleash a ferocious shot to restore Lavant’s lead.

Late on, Shay Wiggins was unfortunate to give away a penalty at a corner by pushing an opponent – a harsh decision. The penalty was put away with ease and Lavant were left disappointed to get a point from a game they dominated.

Petworth Res 3 Bracklesham 2

Div 5 Cup

Petworth recorded an an unlikely victory against league leaders Bracklesham, who had thrashed them 7-0 two weeks earlier.

Bracklesham took the lead when a defensive mix-up caught Alex Wadey unawares and he was beaten by a wicked bounce.

Minutes before half-time Darren Hodd converted the spot-kick given for handball.

Petworth took the lead, Holden rounding the keeper and walking the ball in.

It was 3-1 when Scott Goldsmith ran and crossed for Holden. Bracklesham pulled one back.

Murray was star man.

PETWORTH RES: Wadey, Groves, Przepiorka (Goldsmith 45), Murray, West, L.Hedger (Konieczny 60), J Hedger, S Apps, Clayton, Hodd, Holden.