Lethbridge and Lis earn Bognor Trophy progress after Tangara heroics

Bognor on the attack against Tooting and Mitcham / Picture: Martin DenyerBognor on the attack against Tooting and Mitcham / Picture: Martin Denyer
Bognor on the attack against Tooting and Mitcham / Picture: Martin Denyer
Bognor went through to the next round of the FA Trophy with second half goals from Brad Lethbridge and Alfie Lis in an enthralling game - but only after a penalty save by Amadou Tangara kept them level.

The 2-0 win in front of 486 fans means Bognor keep their 100 per cent home record in all competitions going and earn £3,700 in prize money.

Calvin Davies got a start for Bognor but Jake Flannigan was missing from the line-up.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Lethbridge forced Tooting goalkeeper Gary Ross into a comfortable save on four minutes. Davies slipped up, allowing Levi Phillips in on the left, but he tracked back and got a last-ditch tackle in. Calls for a penalty were ignored as the player went to ground.

Tommy Leigh had an effort blocked from outside the box after great work from Sam Dowridge and Jordy Mongoy. Then Mongoy shot over after pressurising the keeper. Phillips drove in a cross that bounced just wide of the post then Tangara denied him with a brave stop on 11 minutes.

Tommy Cooney whipped a cross towards Ashton Leigh before Dowridge forced a decent save from Ross.

Ashton Leigh was involved in a tussle with George Ademiluyi who went to ground rather easily as the referee awarded the free-kick. Players from both sides crowded round each other and Dowridge and Ross were booked.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Mongoy stretched to win a loose ball and his boot got stuck in the turf and he required treatment on his knee, which held up play on 35 minutes.

Dan Williams sent in a cross but Walters glanced his header well wide on 38 minutes. There was a mix-up at the back for Bognor as Tangara and Cooney struggled to clear the ball - while at the other end Mongoy was blocked with his strike as claims for a handball were ignored. HT 0-0

Dowridge smashed a shot high over the bar on 47 minutes. Tooting had a penalty when Davies was deemed to have pushed Phillips in the box on 52 minutes. Jake Rose put the spot kick to Tangara's right but he saved to keep the score goalless.

Lethbridge cut inside before shooting narrowly over the bar from outside the box. Tommy Leigh played in Mongoy, who ran on and shot it low at goal but it brought a save from Ross on 57 minutes.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Ashton Leigh and Mongoy tested the keeper, then Lethbridge had a goal disallowed for offside on 68 minutes. But his goal did count on 69 minutes as Ross was caught out while out of his goal as Lethbridge rounded him and a defender before dispatching it low into the unguarded net.

Lethbridge pulled up with an apparent hamstring issue but carried on for some time. Alfie Lis soon replaced Lethbridge and the scorer was applauded off.

Tommy Leigh's free-kick to the back post found Lis who headed it into the side netting on 79 minutes. But Bognor netted their second as a wonderful ball from Tommy Leigh along the deck found Lis, who smashed it low with his first touch inside the post beyond the outstretched leg of Ross on 81 minutes.

Jamari Brisset forced Tangara into a diving save on 86 minutes. Donatai Stewart did the same - before Harvey Whyte blasted it high and wide down the other end.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rocks: Tangara, Davies (Mendoza 65), Cooney, Whyte (c), Cook, Robb, Dowridge, A Leigh, Mongoy (Parish 64), T Leigh, Lethbridge (Lis 78). Unused sub: Wood.

Attendance – 486

The Rocks are due to play Burgess Hill Town in the Sussex Senior Cup but news is awaited of what Saturday's evening's new lockdown announcements mean for grass-roots sport.

Related topics: