Local sides crash out FA Cup to Ryman League opposition

editorial image

ALL three of our local teams crashed out of the FA Cup to Ryman League opposition at the Preliminary Round stage on Saturday.

Peacehaven went down 2-1 away to Chatham Town when the hosts from Kent struck twice to wipe out the lead given to the Sussex side by Callum Saunders.

Saunders scored midway through the second half with a 30-yard free kick. But the Ryman 1 North hosts equalised seven minutes later thanks to a 76th minute Lee Hales penalty, then won it with a Jack Pallen 20-yard cracker six minutes later.

The defeat cost the Tye a mouth-watering meeting with Hastings United in the first qualifying round.

Ringmer went down 3-0 away to Ryman 1 South outfit Faversham Town, with goals coming from Luke Harvey, Adrian Stone and Matt Bourne.

And Crowborough Athletic exited the Cup 5-2 away to another Ryman 1 South side, Chipstead. Adam Fletcher smashed a hat-trick as the hosts ran away with it in the second half.

The sides went in level at half time thanks to Fletcher’s first and a Chris Ransome goal midway through the first half for the Crows. But two more for Fletcher plus strikes from Luke Coleman and Fabian Batchelor saw the Ryman side through, while a late conversion from the spot by Sam Carrington proved only a consolation.

Local teams enjoyed mixed fortunes in the John O’Hara Cup. AFC Uckfield won 3-1 at home to Storrington thanks to goals either side of half time from Sam Schaafe plus one before the break from Brad Manton.

Hailsham Town, however, went out 3-2 after extra time at home to Southwick despite a goal in normal time from prodigal son Simon Stevens and a strike in overtime from Steve Earley. Southwick’s Sam Blunder hit a hat-trick thanks to two extra time efforts to go with his second half goal in the 90 minutes.

Pictured on this page are shots of Hailsham manager Kenny McCreadie and his management team rallying this troops during a delay in proceedings in the second half of normal time – and of the Stringers boss looking less than happy with his players’ performance. Pictures taken by Brian Pollard.

In Division Two Seaford Town drew 0-0 at home to Loxwood to stay unbeaten in the league – albeit with three draws from their four games.

But Saltdean United’s first season back in Division Two is still winless after they went down 4-2 away at Steyning Town.

Dean Ghamsari equalised Adam Burton’s 17th minute opener just past the half hour mark but Burton hit twice more just after half time for his hat-trick and to give the hosts a comfortable lead. Ebou Jallow soon pulled one back for the Tigers to make it 3-2 but Murat Aslan rounded off the scoring midway through the second half.

Newhaven’s winning start in their return to Division Two came to an abrupt halt at Eastbourne United on Friday night.

A healthy crowd of 151 turned up at the Oval, despite the wet and windy conditions, to see the top two go head to head, with both holding 100 per cent records going in to the game.

But the Dockers lost 5-1, their consolation goal coming from Lee Robinson, on 51 minutes. United’s goals came from Mark Goodwin (7 mins), Peter Cooper (12, 75), Liam Baitup (54) and Peter Featherstone (85).

In Division Three, Uckfield Town got off the mark with a 0-0 draw at home to Clymping.