Midhurst through to shield semi-finals... Davies delight for Wittering

Midhurst are in the semi-finals of the SCFL Supplementary Shield after ending their group matches with two home wins. Here's how they did it - plus news from Wittering United and Unicorn United.

Midhurst on the attack / Picture: Tommy McMillan
Midhurst on the attack / Picture: Tommy McMillan

Midhurst 3 Billinghurst 1

Something had to give in this Supplementary Shield game between two sides with a 100 per cent record – and it was Billingshurst’s that ended.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

The Stags took the lead in the 12th minute with a corner from Liam Dreckmann to pick out James Liddiard, who calmly slotted home.

Midhurst take on Billingshurst / Picture: Tommy McMillan

Both sides created chances but the Stags got their second in the 28th minute when Lewis Hamilton found Billinghurst keeper James Stallen off his line and lobbed him from 40 yards out with a great finish.

Billinghurst worked their way back in the game and created two good chances before the half-time whistle.

Jahobi Maher forced Stags keeper Josh Bird into a smart save to his right, then Archie Goddard was put though and fired wide.

Midhurst take on Billingshurst / Picture: Tommy McMillan

Billinghurst were fired up for the second half and Bird was called into action making a good save from Maher.

Stags thought they had a penalty when Marcus Bedford was brought down but the linesman advised the referee it was just outside.

Dreckmann fired wide from the free-kick.

Stags added a third goal in the 68th minute.

Charlie Cooper put in a great free kick from the right picking out Lewis Hyde, who headed home into the bottom corner.

Billinghurst pulled a goal back with 12 minutes left when Ricardo Fernandes was put through and coolly beat Bird.

Midhurst boss Andy Ewen said: “It was scrappy at times but we were better in both boxes – that was the difference. We looked tired but we’ll keep rotating to try to keep it fresh.”

On Tuesday night Midhurst made sure of their semi-final place in the Division 1 Shield when they beat Roffey 4-1 at the Rotherfield to finish top of the group – and with a 100 per cent record. Bedford (2), Liddiard and Hamilton were the scorers.

Midhurst are due to visit Worthing United in the semi-finals on May 8.


Wittering United beat Chapel Farm 5-1 with a hat trick by Jack Davies, two thumping right foot shots and a second half penalty. Harry Leigh scored early and late to keep United top of the post season league.

Newtown Villa 0 Unicorn Utd 3

Unicorn took a huge step closer to cup glory by beating Bognor rivals Newtown Villa in the West Sussex Premier Division Supplementary Shield group stages.

It’s three wins on the trot for Danny Towers’ side.

Harry Abrahams scored twice before limping off with blood pouring from a knee injury and James Fallack added the decisive third in a competitive affair at Crabtree Park.

The win follows successes against Southbourne and Barnham Trojans and manager Towers said of the convincing victory: ‘We battled really well and played some really good football.

“They had a couple of boys who could pass the ball around nicely but they played more in their half than ours and we were happy for them to have possession there.

“They are a young side while we have a few older heads in our ranks and when they made mistakes we capitalised on them and scored three good goals.

“We have a good bunch of lads and we are going well. We’ve had three good games and I expect Harry to recover from his injury in time to face Lavant in our next match on Saturday. Hopefully we can go on and win the competition as a bit of cup success is always a bonus and it will give us a real confidence boost ahead of the new season.”