Mixed fortunes for clubs in FA Vase

editorial image

THERE were mixed fortunes for our clubs in the FA Vase on Saturday.

AFC Uckfield enjoyed a superb win over Cherry Red Combined Counties opponents Molesey, thanks to a fantastic long range strike from Jack Divall six minutes before the break and an extra time winner from Andy McDowell after the visitors had levelled after the break.

The Uckers had already experienced an emotional afternoon after inviting Brian Smith’s family and friends for the official unveiling of the club’s new Brian Smith Stand (see elsewhere on this website for pictures).

And Peacehaven also made it through to the second qualifying round after two late strikes saw them beat Dorking 4-2 away from home. Strikes from Ashley Rees (22 mins), Charlie Walker (30), Ryan Bradley (87) and Was Tait (89) saw them through

But Hailsham Town went out at home to Arundel in the second successive Saturday afternoon extra time cup defeat witnessed at the Beaconsfield. Simon Stevens had equalised Josh Biggs’ early opener for the Mullets 10 minutes before the break but a goalless second half only meant the Stringers would lose in overtime again (following last Saturday’s defeat to Southwick in the John O’Hara League Cup). Ryan Warr, on 94 minutes, and Biggs again, on 115 minutes, did the damage.

And Newhaven also went out in agonising fashion when goals in extra time ended their dreams of an FA Vase run.

Freddie Beale had levelled George Gasgin’s 75th minute opener for Littlehampton Town in magnificent style when he lobbed the visiting keeper from the edge of the box (see picture of the goal, Freddie Beale is No 15, and celebrations on this page, by Brian Pollard). But with hopes high of forcing the win in extra time, the Dockers were instead crushed when the West Sussex outfit regained their lead on 100 minutes in controversial circumstances. And with the hosts still stunned from that, Jason Jarvis added another couple for the away side, on 108 and 118 minutes, to give an unfair 1-4 gloss to the scoreline.

Saltdean United were crushed 7-1 at home to Banstead Athletic, James Bentley’s 48th minute effort barely a consolation.

But Ringmer were on the right side of a 7-1 scoreline when they hammered hosts Shoreham by that very score. Goals came from Aaron Watson (6 and 65 minutes), Scott Marshall (15, 25 and 32 minutes) and Tom Lyons (28 and 68 minutes). Shoreham had actually taken the lead on four minutes through Liam O’Brien.

Crowborough Athletic lost 3-2 at home to Guernsey despite goals from Sam Carrington (15 mins) and Scott Treleavan (88 mins).

The draw for the FA Vase 2nd Qualfying Round was posted on the Sussex County Football League website earlier. It reads (Sussex teams in CAPS):

ARUNDEL v Deal Town

Beckenham v WICK


Horley Town v SEAFORD TOWN


Lordswood v EAST GRINSTEAD/Raynes Park Vale




ST. FRANCIS RANGERS v Ashford United


The SCFL website adds: “Ties will be played 15th September 15 – NB. Those SCFL teams not involved may well have games arranged.”

In Division 2, Seaford Town drew 0-0 away at Midhurst & Easebourne while, in Division 3, Uckfield Town drew 1-1 at home to Ifield. Town’s Andy McIntosh equalising Chris Hughes’ 31st minute opener midway through the second half.