Newhaven slip up at Shoreham as race for league title hots up

Newhaven Town
Newhaven Town

Newhaven Town lost some ground in the Southern Combination Premier title race on Monday as they suffered a 2-0 defeat at Shoreham.

Ben Chick gave the hosts the lead with a 22nd minute strike and Shoreham, who are 13th in the table, sealed the three points with a late goal from Matthew Fleming.

Newhaven are third in the table on 46 points from 20 matches, four points behind leaders Eastbourne Town.

Newhaven are on the road again tomorrow (Saturday) and will hope to find their top form once again at 14th placed Hassocks.

Hassocks however, will be in upbeat mood for the clash as they have won their last two matches against Shoreham and St Francis - the first time they have recorded consecutive victories all season.

AFC Uckfield haven’t played since their 4-3 defeat at Eastbourne United on December 19.

They were due to welcome Hailsham Town to the Oaks last Monday but the match was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. Tomorrow (Saturday) Uckfield, who are 15th in the table, travel to league leaders Eastbourne Town.

Eastbourne Town won their last match 1-0 at Eastbourne United on last Monday thanks to an early goal from striker Kenny Pogue.

Town have been beaten just once so far this season.

Elsewhere in the Premier Ian Stevens struggling Hailsham Town side, who are third from bottom in the league standings, welcome Tobi Hutchinson’s Eastbourne United to the Beaconsfield.

On Tuesday night Hailsham travel to Worthing United.

In division one Ringmer drew 1-1 against Langney Wanderers at the Caburn Ground last Monday.

Wayne Wilkinson gave Langney the lead with an 18th minute goal but Dominic Clarke levelled for the hosts seven minutes later.

Tomorrow (Saturday) Ringmer, who are 10th, welcome 11th placed Bexhill United.

Seaford Town and Saltdean United, the bottom two clubs in the Southern Combination division one, played out a tense 1-1 draw at the Crouch on Monday.

Saltdean, who are rock bottom, took the lead on 73 minutes thanks to a strike from David Pugh.

Seaford fought back and were awarded a penalty which was confidently despatched by Oli Jones. Both sides had chances but neither could grab the winner.

Seaford are next in action tomorrow (Saturday) at sixth placed Southwick while Saltdean welcome league-leaders Crawley Down Gatwick.