Pagham's win hopes go awry against Rye

Pagham 1 Rye Utd 1

Sussex League division one

Pagham could have easily beaten FA Vase quarter-finalists Rye – but a draw seemed a fair result in the end.

In the first minute James Temple was through on goal and only the reflexes of Josh Pelling stopped the Lions from gaining an early lead.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A few minutes later, Ryan Cox’s cross caused problems for Rye, who forced the ball out for a corner.

Rye started to get into the game, striking a chance across Pagham’s goal. Then Paul Tuppeny had to to be on his toes to block an attempt from Temple.

Cox got in on the act, shooting wide from long range, before Temple had two more chances to score, with Charlie Marshall supplying good balls into the area.

Rye were temporarily down to ten men as skipper Shaun Loft was treated for a foot injury. For Rye, Tuppeny and Sam Cole had opportunities to open the scoring.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

There was controversy as Scott Murfin was scythed down by Loft.

Referee Nigel Baker left the Pagham crowd nonplussed as he waved away what seemed legitimate calls for a penalty.

Justin Gregory fed Temple, whose shot went awry. Down went Dominic Clarke for the visitors, needing treatment.

Loft was again involved five minutes before the break when his tackle on Gregory left the Pagham man in a heap. Again Mr Baker waved away the protests.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The first goal came on 42 minutes. Gregory’s great approach work created space for Temple to smack the ball home.

Cox struck a shot into the side netting before the whistle.

Rye made changes for the second half. Off came Dominic Clarke to be replaced by Richardson. Scott Ramsey moved up front to partner Danny Leach.

Joe Booker headed over from a free-kick. Scott Murfin went in on Pelling, but the ball went loose.

Loft and Temple had a coming together with the Pagham striker coming off worse. On bounded Colin Mills and Temple carried on after treatment.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Marshall hit the side netting for Pagham and Neil Murfin was spoken to by the referee as a succession of niggling tackles threatened to spill over. With just under an hour gone, Rye deservedly equalised. A cross from the right was headed home with force by Scott Ramsey. Duncan Macarthur followed this with a shot over the bar.

The inevitable booking of Shaun Loft was followed by a laughable free-kick for Pagham.

With 20 minutes to go, youngster Alex Kew came on for Pagham to replace Neil Murfin.

Two minutes later, Pagham should have gone 2-1 up. Gregory’s powerful header slammed into the post as Rye breathed a sigh of relief.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Two more chances for Temple followed before Cole was unlucky not to score when Wes Hallett forced his shot on to the post.

A superb save from Pelling denied Temple.

PAGHAM: Hallett; Hinshelwood, R Cox, Pearce, Jones, Booker, Murfin, Marshall, Temple, S Murfin, Gregory. Subs: Kew, Misslebrook, Tribe, Robinson.