Peacehaven clinch county league title with point at Horsham YMCA

Peacehaven clinched the county league championship when they secured the point they needed in a 0-0 draw at Horsham YMCA on Saturday.

The Tye had all but won the title on Tuesday night with their 2-0 win over Shoreham as second-placed Redhill could only match their points total and their goal difference was massively inferior.

However, Peacehaven boss Shaun Saunders had said after that Shoreham victory that he didn’t want to win the title on goal difference – and his team ensured that wouldn’t be the case with the point they picked up at Horsham.

Saunders is expected to give his first teamers a rest today when the Tye travel to Chichester City for the team’s last league game of the season (KO 3pm) – ahead of the team’s John O’Hara League Cup final with Littlehampton Town this coming Friday at Culver Road.

Redhill’s 2-0 win at East Preston means the Surrey side clinched second place and therefore sealed promotion – alongside Peacehaven – to the Ryman Isthmian League.

Elsewhere in county league division one, relegated AFC Uckfield at least went down with a bang with a 1-0 home win over St Francis Rangers. Cian O’Hara’s goal midway through the second half sealed the win.

Hailsham Town got the better of near neighbours Ringmer, beating them 4-1 at the Caburn. The Blues took the lead through Aaron Watson early on before a hat-trick from Danny Leach – on 15, 20 and 35 minutes – saw the Stringers 3-1 up at half time. And a Mesach Smith strike four minutes into the second half clinched the win.

Hailsham, who lost 5-3 at home to Shoreham on Thursday night despite goals from Steve Earley, Ashley Jarvis and Shane Saunders, travel to Redhill for their last league game ofthe season today (3pm KO).

Seaford Town were another side who ended the season with a bang, winning 5-0 away to Loxwood in division two. Drew Greenall hit four of the goals, on 25, 69, 71 and 86 minutes. Harry Mills got the other goal on 61 minutes.

Already-promoted Newhaven lost their last game of the season 2-1 at home to Bexhill United. Lynton Rogers took the lead on the hour mark for the visitors before Harry Miller equalised for the Dockers three minutes later. But Jordan Woodley won it for Bexhill in the last minute.

In division three, Uckfield Town won 3-1 at Billingshurst. Town took the lead on six minutes through Tom Swancott before Murray Heywood made it two on the cusp of half time. Nick Tilley pulled one back for the hosts four minutes into the second half but Aaron Singh sealed the win for Uckfield with 10 minutes to go.

Uckfield Town play their final league game of the season at home to Hurstpierpoint today (3pm).