Ringmer AFC edge past Cuckfield Rangers

There were wins for Ringmer AFC's first and fourth teams but defeats for the seconds and thirds in the latest round of matches.

Wednesday, 21st April 2021, 8:26 am
A minute's silence at the home of Ringmer AFC

Ringmer AFC 3 Cuckfield Rangers 2

Ringmer maintained their 100 per cent record following the restart of the MSFL in an entertaining game at the Caburn Community Ground.

Despite Cuckfield leading 2-1 at the break, Ringmer had dominated possession and chances in the opening exchanges.

MoM Callum Connor continued his rich goalscoring form to break the deadlock inside 20 minutes. Ben Earle provided the assist to Connor, who raced clear to slot past the onrushing Cuckfield goalkeeper.

Despite impressive debutant Ryan Craig going close from 25 yards and David MacNeil having a goal bound header deflected off the line, Cuckfield struck twice mid-way through the first half to give them the advantage.

First Dave Houlders levelled after wrongfooting Ringmer keeper Joe Whiting with a clinical strike.

Cuckfield’s Ricky Head finished well from 12 yards as Ringmer protested over an unseen block on covering defender Brett Johnson in the build-up.

The start of second half followed a similar pattern.

David Altendorff and Glenn Hunt controlled the midfield which allowed Marcin Ruda to link well with Ringmer’s forward line.

Having lost Connor Ghosh through injury, the introduction of Sam Strutt, Luke Turner and Rob Le Cras by the hour saw the game turn in favour of the home side.

Connor scored his second, finishing clinically from 15 yards having raced past the Cuckfield back-line to latch on to Ben Earle’s through ball.

It was the third Earle-Connor combination that secured the win for Ringmer. First Ben Earle went close from a free kick from 20 yards. Having recovered possession quickly after the restart, Earle was felled on the edge of the 18-yard box.

Connor stepped up to drive home a powerful freekick with 15 minutes left.

The final minutes of the game were open and not without chances for both teams.

Craig Brown and Brett Johnson combined to slow a Cuckfield attack, with Johnson’s goal line tackle preserving Ringmer’s advantage.

Ringmer almost extended their lead in the closing minutes via Marcin Ruda.

He advanced with possession having received a square pass from Glenn Hunt only to see his audacious outside of the boot attempt narrowly miss the far post.

Ringmer AFC – Whiting, Johnson, Ghosh (Turner – 37), Brown, MacNeil, Altendorff (Strutt - 59), Hunt, Ruda, Earle, Craig (Le Cras - 64), Connor.

* Burgess Hill Rhinos beat Ringmer AFC seconds 2-0.

Newick 4 Ringmer AFC 3s 2

Ringmer travelled to division three title chasers Newick with a very youthful squad because of injuries and unavailability across the club.

They started well, holding a strong Newick side until the 25th minute when a ten-minute spell of conceding three goals seemed to suggest it was going to a long and challenging afternoon.

However, having started the game brightly, Ringmer responded, continuing to play attacking football and were rewarded when top scorer Noah Simmons-Botelho was upended in the Newick box and he smashed home the penalty make it 3-1 at half-time.

Going downhill in the second half, Ringmer showed great energy and attitude with 16-year-old debutant Josh Sudan dictating play alongside skipper Charlie Branton and Sam Bines in midfield.

MoM Sudan who was then fouled in the Newick area allowing Simmons-Botelho to again score from spot to make it 3-2.

The charge was shortlived as Newick, knowing a victory was essential in their chase for the title, made it 4-2 just moments later.

Ringmer continued to give their rivals problems, creating a number of good chances, but it was not to be.

The management team of Hutchings and Parris were proud of their side’s attitude, application, desire and overall play, producing their best team performance of the season against the best side in the division. MoM: Josh Sudan.

Ringmer AFC 4s 3 Fairfield 2

On a glorious afternoon at the Ringmer 3G, the fourths extended their unbeaten run to four games following the restart.

Ringmer got off to a bright start and took a deserved lead 25 minutes inwith some great support play from Jacob Morris setting up a cool finish by Ben Milburn. Throughout the first half Ringmer kept the pressure on Fairfield and should have taken one of a couple of good chances, but kept failing to hit the target.

In the second half Ringmer were slow out of the blocks and Fairfield drew level with an excellent finish from a Ringmer error.

Ringmer made changes up front by bringing on Aidan West, who grabbed two quick goals with assists from Ben Milburn and Harry Dennes.

Ringmer could not put the game to bed and Fairfield with another quality finish made the final score 3-2.

It was a good three points for Ringmer, but manager Ben Taylor said it could have been a better result if Ringmer had maintained their movement and energy levels in the second half.

MoM: Bobby Taylor