Ringmer roar back with wins for first, second and fourth XIs

Grassroots football is back - and Ringmer AFC have had numerous teams in action over the Easter weekend. There was success for their first, second and fourth teams.

Tuesday, 6th April 2021, 2:01 pm
Updated Tuesday, 6th April 2021, 6:26 pm
Ringmer AFC's home

Here are the Ringmer AFC match reports...

Sedlescombe Rangers 1-4 Ringmer AFC

As the MSFL resumed, Ringmer made their longest away trip of the season to Sedlescombe Rangers, coming away from the game with a deserved three points despite a below-par first half performance.

Despite Callum Connor having a goal disallowed for offside, Luke Turner having a headed effort cleared from the goal line, and Naim Rouane’s free-kick being spectacularly saved, Ringmer felt disappointed with their own performance at the break. Indeed Ringmer were lucky to go in at half-time only 1-0 down as Sedlescombe took one of their three one-on-one chances.

The second half saw a much-improved Ringmer performance as a more direct approach coupled with greater intensity brought rewards in the final third.

In particular Connor Ghosh and Marcín Ruda’s pace and energy made the second 45 uncomfortable for the home team’s back line. With Hunt and Forward now dominating midfield, parity was resumed on 55 minutes as Callum Connor converted from the penalty spot after Ben Earle was felled.

Earle gave Ringmer the advantage, finishing emphatically from 15 yards. The second half goalscoring was completed by Connor and Earle (pen) with Ringmer’s back four of Johnson, Brown, MacNeil and Piper competently protecting Joe Whiting in the closing stages.

Portslade Athletic 1-2 Ringmer AFC 2s

Saturday saw the Ringmer second team’s return to action after lockdown with an away trip to Portslade Athletic. Ringmer started the brightest creating several early chances which culminated in the first goal, a flowing move down the right with a low ball across the box neatly finished by Jacob Ashwood. Portslade changed formation and got back in to the game with an equaliser just before half-time.

In almost the first action after the break Tyler Watson whipped in across which was headed home by Rob Frost with almost his first touch. There were chances at both ends but a stubborn Ringmer defence led by man of the match Dave Manning saw them home 2-1 victors.

Willingdon Athletic 2s 1-1 Ringmer AFC 2s

On Bank Holiday Monday Ringmer 2s traveled to Willingdon 2s.

It looked like Ringmer were still in holiday mood allowing Willingdon to take the initiative early on. Sloppy mistakes and errors across the pitch resulted in a free kick outside Ringmer’s box. The kick hit the bar and was followed up uncontested, 1-0 the home team.

Finally Ringmer woke up and started to get a foothold in the physical contest led by man of the match Sam Sowter. It was Sowter who provided a piece of skill in the box and cross for Charles Porter who headed home before half time. Both teams pushed in the second half to find a winner but the contest finished in a 1-1 draw.

Ringmer AFC 4s 7-2 Fletching 2s

The 4s ripped into Div 5 league leaders Fletching from the outset, with a youthful side full of energy and pace not giving their opponents a moments rest. By half-time, Ringmer were 3-0 up and it could have been more.

Veteran striker Chris Callow rolling back the years with great strike from the edge of the box and even better free kick from 25yrds, following on from a Lewis Ward opener. Fletching pegged Ringmer back with early second half strike, but Ringmer simply went back down the other end and netted with a Sam Gayford strike.

Despite conceding another to make it 4-2, the league leaders simply could not live with the enthusiasm, movement and passing of the Ringmer side and sub Tom Hiller, sent a message to the manager for a starting berth, completing a 30 minute hat trick with a penalty right on full time to make the final result 7-2. Outstanding performance all round particularly from MoM Sean Figgins in midfield.

Newick 2s 0-2 Ringmer AFC 4s

Easter Monday always brings it selection headaches with player availability and when the early morning dropouts messages were received, manager Ben Taylor had to call upon club veteran Mark Hutchings to step into a midfield role.

With numerous changes to the squad from the 7-2 win over league leaders two days before plus a difficult pitch, this game had to be approached in different manner to the previous free flowing performance.

A tight first half saw little in the way of chances, with Ringmer allowing their opponents back line to play passes across middle of the park, while keeping themselves in a very well controlled and tight defensive formation. Half-time saw a tactical masterclass from manager Taylor, switching to 3-5-2.

Ringmer started to put more pressure on the Newick back line and were rewarded in the 60th minute when wing back Patrick Muldoon was clipped in the box and the referee rightly awarded the spot kick. Chris Callow coolly slotted home the kick.

Ringmer continued to thwart anything Newick could muster, with MoM Sam Gayford outstanding in unfamiliar centre back role, and always looked dangerous on the counter attack. As the final whistle approached, a defensive clearance landed at the feet of Muldoon who rounded the Newick keeper on the halfway line before walking the ball into the net. It meant a well earned second win over Easter Weekend and a first clean sheet of the season.