Rooks drawn to face local rivals Eastbourne Borough in the Sussex Senior Cup

Share this article

Lewes have been drawn to face Eastbourne Borough at home in the quarter finals of the Sussex Senior Cup.

The Rooks will face their local rivals at the Dripping Pan on a date yet to be confirmed.

The other quarter final ties are: Three Bridges v Whitehawk, Crawley Down v Littlehampton Town and Brighton & Hove Albion Reserves v the winner of the third round clash due to be played tonight between Bognor Regis Town and Burgess Hill Town.

The draw will come as a boost for Rooks fans still feeling down after Saturday’s disappointing 2-1 home Ryman Premier defeat to struggling Concord Rangers. Lewes boss Steve King had warned beforehand that Concord, who lie fourth bottom in the Ryman Premier division, were a better outfit than their league position indicated, and so it proved with a rare victory for the team from Canvey Island known as the Beachboys.

But Rooks gave the home fans among the 649 crowd little to cheer about nonetheless, with a decidedly under par performance – although the first goal for Concord had more than a hint of offside to it. Sherwin Stanley looked to have been already past the last defender when played through by Tony Stokes on 36 minutes, and despite protests from the home bench, the Concord striker was allowed to run in on goal and shoot past Rikki Banks for the opening goal.

Lewes equalised in first half stoppage time when a drilled cross from Albert Jarrett was diverted into his own net at the near post by Steve King, with the Concord defender who shares a name with the Lewes manager under close attention from Rooks striker Michael Malcolm at the time.

But any thoughts that the team riding high in the table would take control of the second half were dashed when the Lewes defence allowed a long speculative crossfield ball to reach Rangers’ man of the match Stokes at the far post, and the winger was able to squeeze the ball under keeper Banks for the winner.

James Elmes also hit the woodwork for an away team that was well worth its win, and their celebrations at the final whistle showed just what the win meant to them.

The closest Lewes came to scoring in the second half – indeed, their only real effort on goal after the break – was when a diving Malcolm header was saved well by Andy Young in the Concord goal.

Lewes will be hoping for a better performance and result when they travel to Carshalton Athletic in the league tomorrow night.