Seaford Town pick up first win of the season with Oakwood win

Seaford Town recorded their first league win of the season, after they defeated Oakwood 2-1 at the Crouch.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Goals either side of the half from Billy Pout meant they were able to see off an Oakwood side who will remain at the foot of the table following another defeat.

Off the back of victory in the FA Vase last weekend, the home side looked to reflect that same momentum in the league against a team who were also looking to record their first victory of the campaign.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

With a depleted squad heading into the game, the Seaford team hoped to be able to show their depth and make a good impression regardless. However, it was the visitors who made the early breakthrough, taking the lead just after ten minutes thanks to a strike from midfielder Patrick Motindo which crept past the keeper at the near post.

Despite having the majority of the possession in the first half, Seaford struggled to create any substantial chances, with Oakwood being able to nullify most of the home attempts in the opening stages. Seaford’s first real chance of the game arrived on the 35 minute mark, when winger Simon Piper took the ball round the keeper, but saw his effort headed clear off the line by an Oakwood defender.

Only five minutes later the home side thought they were level, when a low ball into the box was turned in by Billy Pout, only to be adjudged offside in the build-up. It was a definite sign of things to come, however, as Seaford eventually found the equaliser just before half-time after a strike from outside the area was parried into the path of Pout, who followed up on the rebound to get his side back on level terms.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

With the score level at half time, Oakwood were visibly the happier of the two sides given the state of play over the course of the first 45 minutes.

Seaford, despite picking up towards the end of the first half, knew that they would need a step-up in tempo in order to go about taking all three points. Seaford continued in a similar vein after the restart, as they were initially unable to translate their final-third possession into any significant attempts on goal. Oakwood seemed comfortable at first, being resolute in their denial of the home side up until the 70th minute, when Seaford found what would go on to be the winning goal.

After a scrappy piece of build-up, the ball eventually found Pout inside the area, where he was able to finish firmly into the bottom corner to give the home side the lead. Seaford could’ve had more, creating multiple chances towards the end as they attempted to put the game beyond doubt. Oakwood were reduced to ten men towards the end, when defender Tom Agate was sent off after kicking out in frustration at Seaford forward Charley Morley with ten minutes to play in normal time.

2-1 the final score, with the Seaford squad clearly benefiting from a much needed confidence boost off the back of the three points.

Seaford Town Manager Paul Wise cited ‘more desire’ as the reason for his side’s improved second half performance, showing ‘more intent to go out and win the game’ compared to the first half.

Related topics:

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.