Snooker Scene with Ian Muldoon

LEWES gained a comprehensive victory over Mid-Sussex in their annual inter-league fixture at Hassocks.

The Lewes ‘A’ team won 8-4, and the ‘B’ team defeated their Mid-Sussex counterparts by a similar score-line.

Skipper Gary Page led from the front by winning 61-36 and 69(31)-22 against Mark Coles. The opening frame changed course when Coles needed four attempts to escape from a snooker. Page bossed the remainder of the match.

On the next table Jack Lander, a late replacement for Cliffe Legion team mate Dave Lewney, started well with a 32 break against Mark Bright and won his first frame, but Bright came back to take the next frame 57-16.

Ashley Bull made it 5-1 to Lewes with a powerful display of potting, but Vince Elphick’s 51-40 win kept the Middies in the match.

Elphick’s 40 break threatened to further reduce the Lewes lead, but Paul Scorer hit back with a 39 before clearing the colours.

Lewes led 6-2 going into the final two matches, but Sean Payne soon got them over the line, beating Anthony Flynn 60-8. Payne then compiled a fluent 40 break but Flynn hit back with 26 before dominating the closing stages to win on the pink. Kevin Ward got a fourth point for Mid-Sussex, but an unlucky in-off brown let Pat Adams in to make the final result 8-4.

Lewes ‘B’ got off to a great start when new team captain Darren Short hit a 46 break in the opening frame, and went on to complete a win by 68-30 and 57-10. Lewes WMC player Jake Richardson made it 3-0 to Lewes ‘B’ before opponent Neil Smith found his potting range and opened the Middies’ account.

On his return to the side Luke Martin fought back to draw with Lee Morley, while on the other table debutant Nick Cox won a low-scoring opener 40-11.

Kilkenny man Dennis O’Rourke hit back to win frame eight and keep his side in the match.

The Lewes ‘B’ lead was cut to a single point when Derek Carr overcame Lou Marshall 59-50.

But rookie Ben Steer stepped up to the plate and his 54-27 win assured Lewes of at least a draw. Lou Marshall upped his game and a 54-23 win made a Lewes victory certain.

Ben Steer also took the final frame to make it 8-4 to Lewes ‘B’, before everyone retired to enjoy the excellent buffet provided.