Victories for Lavant and Chapel ... Pirates held

Wins for Lavant and Chapel and a draw for Nyetimber Pirates feature in our latest West Sussex League round-up.

Action from Nyetimber Pirates' 0-0 draw with Cowfold Res   Picture by Louise Adams
Action from Nyetimber Pirates' 0-0 draw with Cowfold Res Picture by Louise Adams

Faygate 1 Lavant 7

West Sussex League premier division

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

Lavant showed they really mean business in the premier division this year after they trounced Faygate 7-1 – with James Sandford scoring the first five.

The Lions started brightly and within ten minutes they had the lead.

A marauding run by winger Aaron Hancock ended with him squaring the ball to Sandford, who coolly dummied the on-rushing keeper to tap into the empty net.

Moments later it was two, Hancock again supplying Sandford who this time scored off the post. Sandford completed his hat-trick before half-time by flicking a corner that took a slight deflection to beat the home goalie.

The goals kept coming after the interval, the fourth scored again by Sandford as he latched on to a poor clearance to slot home.

Good work from Dave Knight brought about Lavant’s fifth as he expertly let the ball run past him to allow Sandford to swivel and volley home from 12 yards.

Then came Lavant’s only low point of the afternoon as Neil Sanson needlessly rushed out of goal to concede a penalty which was converted by the home side.

However, Lavant weren’t deterred and went on to score two more, both expertly-taken finishes by joint top scorer James Brooks.

Nyetimber Pirates 0 Cowfold Res 0

Div one

Nyetimber Pirates’ solid start to the season continued with a 0-0 draw that means the Looters are unbeaten in six.

The Pirates rested Kieron Urqhart and were without captain Phil Turner and striker James Fallick, both missing through injury.

Matt Carter, Sean Williamson, Marc Gill and Lewie Wilkins all returned to the starting line-up, with Ted Griffin captain.

Nyetimber dominated most of the first half but were unable to create any clear-cut chances from open play.

Lewie Wilkins and Andy Cox on the wings both linked well with Paul Frangou with the Cowfold keeper making a number of saves.

Michael Palmer went close to opening the scoring on three occasions but all his headed efforts went just wide.

Pirates keeper Warren Pye made a superb save on 43 minutes.

Fold came out strongly in the second half and pushed for an opener but Pye was on superb form.

Sean Williamson was unlucky not to grab his first goal of the season when his spectacular 40-yard effort rocketed off the underside of the bar.

The Pirates were awarded a penalty on 64 minutes when Frangou was tripped in the box. Sam Pasterfield’s penalty was slotted into the bottom corner only for referee Chris Andrews to call for it to be re-taken for encroachment, with the goalkeeper saving the re-take.

Manager Charlie Welling’s injury worries continued when Palmer and Frangou limped off with suspected ankle and groin injuries.

Pasterfield could have won it late on but his back-post header went just wide.

Nyetimber are in Intermediate Cup action this weekend with Shoreham Reserves the visitors to Pirate Park.

PIRATES: Pye, Williamson, Gill, Carter, Bann, Cox, Wilkins, Palmer, Griffin, Pasterfield, Frangou. Subs: Shepherd, Peach, Dant.

Chapel 4 Tangmere 3

Div four south

Chapel took the lead in the first minute when Tony Scutt tapped home Ben Plant’s cross from close range.

The next 25 minutes were scrappy with neither side bringing the ball under control and instead punting long balls for the front men to chase.

Tangmere made the most of hesitation in the box on 25 minutes to draw level but Chapel went ahead again seven minutes later from a Graeme Lucking free-kick.

Tangmere finished the half the stronger and added a second before half-time.

Chapel once again went ahead with 20 minutes left through Dan Scutt. Two minutes later Chapel were awarded a penalty but Dan Scutt’s shot was well saved by the Tangmere keeper.

This was soon remedied as Tony Scutt added number four for the home side.

Tangmere again poured forward but it wasn’t until the last minute that they got their third from the penalty spot.