We’re getting there, says Tye boss Saunders despite ‘ridiculous’ fixture chaos

Shaun Saunders
Shaun Saunders

Shaun Saunders is taking it one game at a time despite the ‘ridiculous’ fixture schedule which means his title-chasing Peacehaven team will have to play four games each week for the rest of the season.

Saunders’ Tye squad still have eight league games to play plus a John O’Hara League Cup semi final against Shoreham. Last night’s postponed game at Arundel has hardly helped them in their bid to clear a cramped fixture shedule.

He said: “It’s ridiculous but it’s one of those things. We’re at the mercy of the weather. Obviously the games have to be played but it’s really challenging the squad. We’re asking players to play four games in seven days.

“We’re playing Saturday-Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday at the moment and it’s taking its toll. But we’ve got a big squad and we’re getting there.

“We’re in good shape.”

Peacehaven travel to Chichester tomorrow before that JOH Cup game three days later. Then, just two days after that they must visit Hailsham Town for another league clash.

Peacehaven won 6-1 at home to Worthing United on Saturday before beating East Grinstead Town 3-1 away on Tuesday.

The following is a match report from Alex Panton on that Worthing United win: The County League title race took another twist as Peacehaven easily saw off Worthing United and East Preston fell to a damaging home defeat to Dorking.

Worthing United did indeed turn up for the match, having failed to fulfil their fixture with East Preston days earlier, but that was as good as it got for Paul Curtis’ side. For Haven, the highlights were a hat-trick from Craig Bunch and a fine individual goal from Rob O’Toole.

The build up of frustration caused by the resiliance of United was evident in the way Carl Dunk lashed home the opening goal, and once the dam had broken it wasn’t long before O’Toole had combined with Craig Hall to rattle in a second.

Bunch replaced Ashley Rees at half time and soon set about a determined but disorganised visitng defence. He grabbed two goals in quick succession, volleying in the first and then tapping in the second.

The day’s best goal came with O’Toole’s well controlled fist time shot from the edge of the box. Chad Milner reduced the arrears and Bunch missed a penalty, before he completed his hat trick from close range after being set up by O’Toole.