What a difference a few weeks makes! Seaford Town go from rock bottom to a team with genuine hope of survival

WHAT a difference a few weeks can make.

From looking destined for relegation when they lost 3-1 at home to promotion chasing Dorking Wanderers, Seaford Town have suddenly taken seven points from their three games in March without conceding a goal, which has seem them move clear of the relegation zone and bring a ray of light at the end of the tunnel.

Storrington became the latest side to fail to breach a resolute Town defence which welcomed back Rafa Ciupinski to its ranks in place of the suspended Lewis Parsons.

Elsewhere there were starts for recent signings Oliver Lee and James McDonnell, with John Summerbell completing the four changes from the side that drew their last game at Bexhill United.

The first opportunity of the game saw Dan Bateman force a save from Gary Elliott in the home goal with a fine volley, then at the other end Kristian Harding wasted a tremendous chance when he blasted his shot over the bar from six yards.

The uneven surface was making ball control extremely difficult, which restricted some of the passing movements but when Tom Morton broke down the left his control was superb and his ball inside found James McKenzie who unleashed a fine shot which Elliott turned round the post.

Town were beginning to get a foothold and, when Bateman found Summerbell, his shot went narrowly wide.

Luke Jearum shot wide for Storrington before Town took a deserved lead on 37 minutes. The ball was played through the middle to Bateman, he turned it wide to Morton who pulled it back for Summerbell and his shot across the keeper nestled nicely inside the far post.

Storrington struggled to find a way through the Town defence, with Sheldon Levett seldom troubled in Seaford’s goal.

This was much to the home side’s frustration, which was evident when Harding was withdrawn in the second period, pulling as he did off his shirt and storming off to the dressing room.

Seaford on the other hand were knuckling down to the job in hand, defending their lead while trying to keep the home side defenders on their toes.

When McDonnell was withdrawn late in the second half his place was taken by Mark Norman and, oh, how he could have done with some of his late father’s finishing skills when the ball fell at his feet seven minutes from time. McKenzie had done well to win the ball in midfield and he played it quickly on to Summerbell on the right.

His early cross found Norman at the far post but his first time effort across the face of Elliott was saved brilliantly one-handed with the ball heading for the inside of the post. As the scores came in from other games it became clear the victory had lifted Town three places up the Division Two table and for the first time in several weeks they were off the foot of the table. The important thing for them now is to continue this improvement in their form to bring the points to secure their Senior status. This Saturday they travel to Rustington in the league.

TEAM: Levett, Pooley, Ciupinski, Morton, Barnett, Porter, McKenzie, Lee, Summerbell, Bateman, McDowell (Norman).