Wormull says King’s departure was ‘unfortunate’ but ‘club must move on’

New Lewes first team caretaker manager Simon Wormull praised his players for overcoming a ‘sloppy’ first half to edge past AFC Sudbury and make it to the last four of the Ryman League Cup on Wednesday night (see elsewhere on this website for match report).

As forums and Twitter feeds were running red hot with talk of the news of Steve King’s departure from the Dripping Pan outfit ‘by mutual consent’ (the news was broken on the club website just after 8pm, minutes into the start of this game, the kick off of which was delayed due to visitors Sudbury being delayed by fog) Wormull was overseeing the Rooks start slowly but finish strongly before winning on penalties. He said: “It was a bit of a game of two halves really. We came out very sloppy and to be fair made it really hard for ourselves.

“I think Sudbury came out and they played really well, played some cracking stuff, but then half time we got them in and sorted them out a little bit and came out second half and I thought we absolutely dominated the game to be honest.

“Maybe it was a little bit open, the game, but we put in some great balls, for us we had three stonewall penalties turned down, so there are only positives we can take out of the game again – and we’re into the semi final of a cup, which is great for the club.”

Asked if he had any worries about the Lewes players in the shoot-out, he said: “No, not at all. I mean, you’ve always got to go by the player, and if he’s confident and he wants to take a penalty then you let him do it, so even numbers six and seven (in penalty order), they were fantastic.

“So it’s great. I was really proud of the boys and it gives us another game to progress on how we want to be.”

The semi finals of the Ryman League Cup are believed to be a one-off match, with the team drawn first out of the hat of each tie able to play at home. And with two Suffolk teams – Lowestoft Town and Bury Town – still in the last four, Lewes FC chiefs will be hoping to avoid a long midweek trip to East Anglia.

Wormull said: “Hopefully we get one of the (more southerly teams), I believe it’s East Thurrock or Maidstone. But to be honest with you, the way we played second half teams will worry about us. We’ve just now got to extend that into 80-90 minutes and I think we’ll be a tough team to beat.”

By the time the team had come off the pitch the news about Steve King’s departure from the club was well spread, although it still required one of the directors, Stuart Fuller, to go into the dressing room following the game to inform the players that the announcement of their former manager’s exit by “mutual consent” had been made public via the club webite.

Speaking of the man who managed him during Lewes’ title winning season of 2008 and who brought him back to the Pan as U18s coach in the summer, Wormull spoke of King after the game.

“Obviously, the decision’s been taken about Steve and now we’ve just got to move forward really.

“The club’s got some important games coming up and they’re in a great position in the league as well.

“It’s just unfortunate to be honest. The rumours that have been going round, no one really knows exactly everything’s that’s gone on.

“But it’s just unfortunate, but I think as a club they’ve identified how they want things to go and if it hasn’t gone that way then they’ve obviously been brave enough to make that decision.

“And hopefully it’s for the...well, it is for the good of the club. I think with the crowds that we’ve seen coming to the last few games, the crowds are going to want to come.

“So the club’s on a very good footing at the moment and we want to push that on now.”