Youth Football round-up

Share this article

Hollinbury Hawks Colts U13s 2 Lewes Bridge View U13s 1

DESPITE valiant efforts, Lewes Bridge View were knocked out of the U13 Challenge Cup in this closely-fought semi-final. Colts started brightly and snatched an early lead but Lewes fought back and evened the score with a nicely placed shot by Bailey Carter. Colts played good passing football, but Lewes had their moments too. Harry Shersby-Wignall came close to scoring and Cosmo Robertson-Charlton did outstanding work. However, the team’s confidence was shaken when a great strike by Colts made it 2-1 just before half time. In the second half Lewes redoubled their efforts, piling on the pressure and coming close to scoring several times. The tension mounted as the Colts keeper made several excellent saves and Oscar Healey’s fine shot grazed the crossbar. With each Lewes attack they came closer to scoring, but Colts were resilient and held.

Pevensey and Westham U9s 1

Lewes Bridge View U9s 4

VIEW produced their best performance of the season against a well-drilled and passing Pevensey side. A tight first-half saw the deadlock broken as the battling Sam Gilkes won the ball on the right and the resulting move found Felix Attfield-Davis in space to rifle in with his left foot. Pevensey equalised through a well-worked passing move before half-time. From the kick-off to the second period View attacked and Ollie Lumsden regained the lead from a corner with a fine far post header. Louis Salmon and Junior Mutulama were outstanding in defence, making tackle after tackle. Joe Shearsby-Wignall then extended View’s lead with an unstoppable drive from outside the box. Attfield-Davis met Gilkes’ through ball to finish with his left again giving View the victory.

Pevensey and Westham U9s 1

Lewes Bridge View U9s 2

ANOTHER excellent View performance full of slick passing saw the side earn a hard fought win against a very strong Pevensey team. A tight first half ended all square with neither goal broached. With Charlie Haggar and Jem Britten-Hepper standing firm in defence time and again, and Roddy McGillivray hounding the Pevensey midfield, View launched a wave of attacks. Jack Garratt-Herd’s strong run and shot saw the keeper fail to hold the ball and Eli Harmer-Johnston was on hand to force it over the line. Joe Shearsby-Wignall made some great saves before Pevensey grabbed a last-minute equaliser. Undaunted Alfie Dobres and Harmer-Johnston passed their way through the Pevensey team from the restart with Harmer-Johnston hitting his and View’s second, winning the game.

Hailsham United U14 Colts 1

Tonbridge Cannons U14s 0

TONBRIDGE are romping to a league title win, having not been beaten this season, so Hailsham were up against it without top scorer Jake Packham. An edgy game came to life when Hailsham’s corner specialist, Joe Scott, stepped up and once again found the net from the set piece. The Cannons pushed hard, resorting to four strikers and were thrown a lifeline when they were awarded a penalty after the Hailsham keeper Ben Andrews clashed with Tonbridge’s top scorer, who had to leave the field of play. But it was to be Hailsham’s lucky day as the ball was sent feet over the bar. Tonbridge were unable to pierce a resilient Hailsham defence and the Colts secured themselves a win and the honour of being the first team to defeat Tonbridge this season.

Lewes Bridgeview U11s 6

Premier FC U11s 0

VIEW carried on their impressive season with a great win over Premier FC. The game got off to a swift start with Jake Cooper putting View in to the lead with a shot-cum-cross inside the first couple of minutes. This made Premier jump into life but Bridgeview’s midfielder Leon Wright was up for the challenge making a couple of stunning tackles, one of which lead to Olly Treagus crossing the ball for

striker Alfie Haggar to control the ball and thump it into the net. Premier’s defence was kept busy with Tom Cooklin and Toby Potter-Drake going close but it was again Haggar who scored for view to lead 3-0 at half-time. Midway through the second half View’s lead was further extended, again by Haggar rounding off his hat-trick. Later in the half substitute Dexter Sherin, making a long awaited return, hit the post with a thunderous shot . But in the final minutes Treagus who scored two more – one being a belter from way outside of the area – to finish the game 6-0 in favour of Bridgeview.