Lewes Priory lose at home to Maresfield

East Sussex Cricket League Divisions 10-13

Lewes Priory 3rd XI* 117 Maresfield 2nd XI 120-4

LEWES Priory lost at home by six wickets to Maresfield.

A Priory side struggling for numbers were unsurprisingly asked to bat first by a Maresfield side looking for their first win. Mike Bonsor and Dan Fine offered stern resistance to the Maresfield attack, making 63 before Fine was bowled by Steve Budd for 38.

Rory Fairhead hit some lusty blows in his 27 before smashing the ball straight back at Derek Barnard, who took a fine caught and bowled. When Bonsor was caught by Budd off Matt Standley for 30, Lewes collapsed to 117 all out, Standley bowling particularly well in claiming 3-16 in 10 overs, while Barnard took 3-30.

In reply, the early loss of Peter Smyth without scoring brought Malcolm Smith to the wicket for Maresfield, and he smashed 10 fours in a rapid 43 before being bowled by Fairhead. Chris Pullen steadied things for his team though and, despite the loss of two more wickets, both to Sam Bonsor’s (2-41) spin, Maresfield cruised home to win by six wickets, Pullen undefeated on 49.

Hastings Priory 4th XI* 175-6 dec Ringmer 3rd XI 127

HASTINGS’ 4th XI beat Ringmer’s thirds by 48 runs.

Ringmer captain Andy Saunders won the toss and asked Hastings to bat on what was a chilly afternoon down on the South coast. The Hastings innings started slowly with Ringmer opening bowlers Gavin Lanius and James Peck in control. But eventually father and son combination Dale and Harry Scowen (52 and 36 respectively) accelerated away, with Hastings finally recording 175-6 from their full complement of 50 overs. Special mention must go to young Harry Scowen, who came in at the fall of the first wicket in the first over and nearly batted right through the innings, showing tremendous maturity and a great deal of talent to play so well and hold the Hastings innings together.

In reply, Ringmer got off to a steady start, with Alan Greenham and James Peck putting on 56 for the first wicket, scoring 38 and 36 respectively.

Paul Moore, on his debut, and Andy Saunders added 14 and 20 but ultimately Ringmer fell short of the target, finally being bowled all out for 127. Keith Hobbs took 4-21.

OTHER RESULTS: Laughton 2nd XI 166-7 (50 ov; Keith Richardson 75) lost by 4 wickets at home to Linden Park 4th XI 167-6 (41 ov; Jerome Hayes 51). Pevensey 2nd XI 155 (40 ov) lost by 8 wickets at home to Mayfield 2nd XI 158-2 (35 ov). Glynde & Beddingham 4th XI conceded away to Uckfield Anderida 2nd XI.


Newhaven 3rd XI* 149-9 Robertsbridge 3rd XI 152-7

THIS game was won by a fine batting performance by Dean Chapman and ably supported by his son Lewis.

Newhaven reached 149-9 in their 50 overs. The main wicket takers were Nick Butcher (3-59) and Matt Neeve (4-27), while there was a great catch at square leg by Charlie Honnor, showing the benefits of not just a good pair of hands but also of being very tall. Gary Carter top-scored with 28 for Newhaven.

Some very good bowling from Simon Fielder (5-39) and young Will Burton-Durham had the visitors in trouble at 3-3 and 20-5. But Newhaven reckoned without the Chapman family, who put on 33 for the fifth wicket, with Lewis, making his debut at this level, hitting five fours in his innings of 19.

When he was out, Dean was joined by Glen Wells in putting together a match-changing stand of 79.

The loss of Wells, for 40, brought in Nick Butcher who hit the winning boundary in the 39th over. Dean was unbeaten on 60 at the end.

OTHER RESULTS: Firle 2nd XI 222-4 dec (44 ov; Tol Christie 70, Chris Taylor 89*) won by 28 runs at home to Pett 2nd XI 194 (45 ov). Newick 3rd XI 191-9 (50 ov; Chetan Patel 42) won by 72 runs at home to Sidley 3rd XI 119 (40.1 ov; Mark Evans 6-18). Heathfield Park 3rd XI 218-5 (50 ov) won by 95 runs away to Seaford 4th XI 123 (31 ov). Crowhurst Park 3rd XI (50 ov; Stuart Brown 5-30) lost by 4 wickets away to Willingdon 3rd XI 142-6 (39.3 ov; George Pantrey 44).


Hailsham 3rd XI 173 Lewes St Michaels 3rd XI 145-9

HAILSHAM were denied victory by a nine-over rearguard action from the last Lewes batting pair.

Hailsham won the toss and elected to bat which may have been a mistake due to the overcast conditions with the opening Lewes bowlers finding good lines with good movement.

A steady start was needed but just when Robin Sewell (16) was starting to open up, Dan Hermitage struck.

Hailsham captain Steve Bowden then watched the next three batsmen come and go fairly quickly as Hermitage (5-41) claimed four wickets with only the 15th over gone.

Perry Holland (35) then came to the crease and made the Lewes attack pay for any loose deliveries with good boundary shots, but when he was bowled it was left to Bowden (83 not out) to up the tempo and set a fairly decent total.

Hailsham felt a victory was on the cards as their bowlers were bowling well, Adrian Farley was the pick of them with 4-29 off 19 overs, and he was supported by Ricky Roberts (3-41) and Perry Holland (2-50).

But the final wicket eluded them and those final nine overs were blocked out by Lewes.

Rye 3rd XI 189-9 Hellingly 4th XI* 105-8

HELLINGLY held on for a draw against to Rye.

Winning the toss, Hellingly chose to bowl first and made an early breakthrough with Max Wootten getting the wicket. Michael Byrne (80) and Greville Field made a solid second-wicket partnership as they brought the visitors back into the game.

John Ottley was brought into the bowling attack and dismissed the pair as Rye began a mini collapse. Charlie Dudley (31 not out) batted through to the 50 overs though as Rye ended the innings on 189-9, with Ottley picking up 5-46.

Brian Booth and Dean Wootten got Hellingly off to an excellent start in reply, and when Wootten fell for 22, Colin Rothero continued the good start. Field was then brought into the attack and dismissed Rothero for 11. Booth (43) also fell victim to Field but with half the runs already chased down, Hellingly were set up nicely for the win. Field (3-36) then dismissed Hellingly skipper Paul Kirk and Jack Dudley (3-13), in his second spell, took three quick wickets as the home side were in danger of letting the game slip away. At eight wickets down Hellingly shut up shop and batted out for the draw.

OTHER RESULTS: Mayfield 3rd XI 105-8 dec (50 ov; Callum Phillimore 4-35) lost by 5 wickets away to Bexhill 5th XI 106-1 (21.4 ov; Ian Harvey 50*). St Peters, Brighton 4th XI 119 (33.2 ov) lost by 5 wickets at home to DPB (Eastbourne) 2nd XI 120-5 (35.3 ov). Uckfield Anderida 3rd XI conceded at home to Wadhurst 3rd XI.


Sidley 4th XI 138-8 Hailsham 4th XI* 139-1

HAILSHAM 4th XI won at home to Sidley 4th XI on a perfect day for cricket.

Hailsham lost the toss and Sidley elected to bat first. Captain Vince Rose (2-33), Sachin Jose (2-19), Tom Wicks (2-59) and George Williams (2-13) all took two wickets apiece as Sidley were all out for 138, a good total to chase down. Mark White top-scored with 36.

But Hailsham were in a confident, positive mood after an excellent fielding display, especially by the younger members of the team.

After tea, Hailsham’s opening batsmen, Wayne Pettigrew (85) and Tom Wicks (33) took no time in putting on the runs, Pettigrew having got his eye in quickly, constantly hitting the boundary, including two massive sixes, until he was out caught and bowled in the penultimate over.

OTHER RESULTS: Crowhurst Park 4th XI 165 (38.1 ov) won by 26 runs at home to TWB 3rd XI 139 (36 ov; Duncan White 49; Josh Jones 4-27). Buxted Park 4th XI 210-9 (50 ov; Warwick Barnes 48, Dave Browning 55*) won by 76 runs away to Little Common Ramblers 3rd XI 134 (28.4 ov; Warwick Barnes 6-18 off nine overs). Rye 4th XI conceded at home to Newick 4th XI.