Drama as Lewes game is abandoned at half time due to floodlight failure

Share this article

Lewes’ home game with Carshalton Athletic was dramatically halted last night when a floodlight failure at half time caused it to be abandoned.

It was the worst possible time for such a thing to happen to the Rooks as they were dominating this relegation six-pointer and looked likely to pick up a much-needed win.

Simon Wormull’s men were leading 2-0 at the interval thanks to a brace of goals from striker Nathan Crabb, both scored in the first 15 minutes.

To add to Lewes’ air of dominance, the Robins’ Luke Pigden was sent off after just one minute of play for a nasty tackle on Dom Ozga.

The Rooks took the lead on 10 minutes when Crabb who, for all his industry was in need of goals of late, did well to skip past his marker and slip the ball past the Carshalton keeper.

Crabb nearly scored again moments later when his header was brilliantly tipped over by Robins keeper Nick Hamann after a good Lewes move involving Lewis Hamilton, Tommy Brewer and Ben Godfrey.

But Crabb did double his and his side’s tally four minutes later when he pounced on a ball headed into the six yard box following a Lewes corner.

What seemed destined to be a bad evening for Carshalton got worse when their manager Tommy Williams was sent to the stands for foul and abusive language.

It could have been three for Lewes before half time when a great Joe Kay run saw him set up Godfrey, whose shot was cleared off the line.

The visitors ended the half better and could have pulled a goal back before the break, but the half ended 2-0 to Lewes. But that’s how the evening ended, when the floodlights went off two minutes into the half time interval.

The Lewes website said: “With the Rooks 2-0 up at half time, a failure in the floodlights meant the game could not continue and the match will now be re-arranged.

“We apologise to the fans that have braved the cold and will be in touch shortly with arrangments for our next game.”